Furuno Open Array Install - "Anticorrosive Sealant"

Fechmup

Lieutenant
Boat Make
32' Harker's Island / Deere 6076
Hey guys,

I'm new around here, but have been lurking for little while. It's clear that there is a lot of knowledge floating around here and I hope I can contribute someday.

This time, I need some assistance; I'm a commercial fisherman in DE and I have a 32' conch potting rig with a JD 6076. I've sought and found a 6kw furuno 1943 green screen system as I prefer adjusting gain/clutter with knobs. The furuno install instructions specify the use of Anti-corrosive sealant between the bottom of the scanner and the bracket. What's the go-to sealant in this instance?

Sorry if I was too long winded, just thought an introduction was fitting before I go picking everyone's brains.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
I suspect there talking about automotive RTV sealants used for sealing windshields. Most of which outgas acetic acid. Stick with a marine grade sealant like 3M 4200 and you should be fine.

Fechmup

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Ok- have I read somewhere that silicone is/can be corrosive to aluminum?

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I have used the good plumbers putty for stuff like this before, or some butyl tape. It make it easier to get it apart when the time comes. Even silicone can be quite an adhesive.I like the gray plumbers putty like electricians used to use around wire,it stays pliable just about forever

Kodiakan

Commander
I'm pretty sure a rubber matt is what they call for. Lessons vibrations also.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Whenever I use stainless against alum or for that matter any dissimilar metal contact, TEFF Gel is my go to anti corrosion made for this application especially on fasteners. Not a sealant, though I do not know why a sealant is needed in this application because it would have to be one wet boat to get water by the mounting bolts. TEFF GEL is thick enough to prevent it anyhow I would think.

Fechmup

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Ok, this has been great! I think I'm going to have a tube of 4200, a piece of rubber mat (which I'm hoping is floating around in the box somewhere) and after a little more research, it looks like I need to order Teff gel before I can get going with this. Attached is a screen shot of a page of the install instructions. I think I'm off to a decent start. Thanks for the help so far!

image.jpg

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
Silicone is commonly referred to as RTV. I have never had problems with marine grade silicone on stainless, but then again, I have never used stainless hardware below the waterline, 4200 is a polyurethane sealant, and probably the better choice.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I have a tube that I received in my Furuno box with my radar. It is Chemiseal S-8400W. Silicone Sealant for anti-corrosion.
Chemseal is a single component, solvent free silicone sealant for anti-corrosion. It hardens at room temperature and becomes elastic. It is weather proof and provides electrical insulation. FWIW.

glueru

Ensign
Folks, there are certain silicones that are acetic acid based, (smell like vinegar) and are corrosive to electronics, stress crack plastics, corrode all kinds of metals especially when they are enclosed inside a case or container. If the silicone is exposed to the open air like sealing a window then there isn't usually any issues. Never , ever use it inside any electronics. You can find non corrosives silicone in most auto stores.

I have many years in selling all kinds of adhesives so if you have any questions let me know

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made
Top Bottom