Furuno sounder problem

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I have a Furuno fcv 292 that has been giving me a hard time for a while. The problem is when we are running slow ,trolling or moving up on a drift i get an intermittent signal, lose bottom definitely not marking fish. It seems fine stationary or up and running. The transducer is a shoot though the hull airmar.

The transducer has fluid in it. I sent the machine back to Furuno last winter to be bench tested. and they said it worked fine. The season is fast approaching and I have to figure something out quick! Its been suggested to me that the hull is making too much bubbles at that speed????

Any ideas before I spend a $h!t load of money on a whole new system.

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
You may have fluid in it but not enough. When I see what you are talking about with my unit I know it is time to add more oil.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
You may have fluid in it but not enough. When I see what you are talking about with my unit I know it is time to add more oil.

Aren't those tanks sealed ?? i think mine is, so why do you have to add oil ?? i'm confused ?? I've got the pink antifreeze in mine so you use oil ???

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Aren't those tanks sealed ?? i think mine is, so why do you have to add oil ?? i'm confused ?? I've got the pink antifreeze in mine so you use oil ???

They are supposed to be, mine leaked it all out at one point. I checked today and was only able to add a teaspoon. I use anti freeze in mine you can also use mineral oil.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Do yourself a favor and take that box out and put in a thruhull. They are way problematic. The 292 is an awesome machine. The shoot thru ducers just dont work as well- when they work at all. I can help you out if you want. Remember too- if you put a new thruhull in, (i am putting a b270 twin wide at 1 kw in the Duffy) you can always upgrade the machine later and use the same ducer. Bite the bullet. Let me know if you want/need help.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Do yourself a favor and take that box out and put in a thruhull. They are way problematic. The 292 is an awesome machine. The shoot thru ducers just dont work as well- when they work at all. I can help you out if you want. Remember too- if you put a new thruhull in, (i am putting a b270 twin wide at 1 kw in the Duffy) you can always upgrade the machine later and use the same ducer. Bite the bullet. Let me know if you want/need help.

Agreed drill the hole and do it correctly. Before you go thru all the trouble just buy a new ducer and hang it over the side. If it gives you better reading then you know it is the ducer. Ducer have a life expectance it may just be worth it to go new. fine a good spot with good inside access and pull the trigger.

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36

Thanks Glen I think that's what Im gonna have to do.

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Agreed drill the hole and do it correctly. Before you go thru all the trouble just buy a new ducer and hang it over the side. If it gives you better reading then you know it is the ducer. Ducer have a life expectance it may just be worth it to go new. fine a good spot with good inside access and pull the trigger.

Thanks Larry good point! Im just looking at Airmars web site to see if I can upgrade to a CHIRP transducer for a new unit later on and still work with the old.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Blacktide.....I agree with Huntress and Larry...i have the same 292 with a thru hull and never had a problem

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
I would go with the B258 Transducer as apposed to their 1 KW flush mounted unit which requires a 4" hole. The B 258 only needs a 1" stem hole along with the fairing block. Flush mount B164 is good if you have a boat that goes 25 knots or better. If not stick with old reliable.

http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads/brochures/b258.pdf

Last edited:

Palawanbound

Lieutenant
Boat Make
30 ft Flowers
The electronics guy here on the island told me years ago to use 4200 find a good spot in the bilge & let her take it,the thing you have to be careful about is NO air bubbles,I just did it with my new 295 & it works fine.The way some of the guys are doing it here is they cut a hole to match the transducer then fiberglass around it to make a box in the bilge,less chance of any damage hitting submerged objects.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Forget the chirp. Overrated technology. We can take my new ducer and hang it if you want. It's at my house. Chirp may be the way some day but it hasn't been ironed out yet. Tell me how many pins on your transducer input, if mine matches come grab it

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
SS270W —1kW, Twin Wide-

I know black tide tuna fishes. This is the best that they offer right now. I have actually done some testing for them and this is what they made after our experimental models. If you are giant fishing , this is your ducer.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
The electronics guy here on the island told me years ago to use 4200 find a good spot in the bilge & let her take it,the thing you have to be careful about is NO air bubbles,I just did it with my new 295 & it works fine.The way some of the guys are doing it here is they cut a hole to match the transducer then fiberglass around it to make a box in the bilge,less chance of any damage hitting submerged objects.

I have never heard of anyone ripping out a properly installed thru hull ducer. They 100% are more reliable, and most would agree that they perform better as well. If you are just looking to read bottom , shoot thru is fine. If you want the most out of your electronics, get a thruhull. In my last boat I mounted the unit flush in the keel, and glassed a core cell formed fairing block around it. It worked out really well. Read perfect in all conditions at all speeds.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Ronnie, it was easy on my last boat because it wasnt a full keel. I didnt get the experimental unit in a metal housing so it was a rectangular block of that hard rubber that you see in the middle of the housing. I cut a chunk of the short keel out the same length as the ducer, placed the glued the foam to it, shaped it and reglassed everything in and out. On our boats it would be tricky for me to figure how to drill a hole straight through an entire keel. But a steady hand and a long jobber bit would be a start. After that you cut a section of keel out, glue the ducer up and form a block. As far as where? Anywhere aft of midship would be awesome.

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Let me add to my mineral oil posts. The ducer inside the hull is the backup hooked to my two 6000i's not my primary ducer.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
Boat Make
33 Flowers.
Top Bottom