Furuno sounder sudden problem

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by Cleanlines78, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Cleanlines78

Cleanlines78 Senior Member

Sprinklerfitter
    Boat Make:
    27 nauset lobster
    EB995E23-256B-42B0-A456-5BE7F869B9E4.jpeg CED4F638-AAEA-4AE1-8D65-A15A4E860964.jpeg hey gang I am posting this for a friend and lobsterman from Gloucester. He called me and asked if we may help. All of a sudden his sounder just started looking staticky. It is an older unit but it works fine with a usually vivid clear screen but it just went to static. The weird thing when the engine is off it goes clear and works perfectly. Here is what it looks like. Any thoughts?

2. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    That's a major RF noise issue, coming from the alternator or a loose ground. The regulator might have failed, which is something that needs to be addressed so the batteries don't boil over either. If he has a battery powered AM/FM radio, that will be a cheap tool to diagnose the source. Make sure it has an external antenna that can be adjusted to aim at and away from the potential culprits, and have him read this link to understand what to do and what to look for. Part 2: EMI/RFI causes & cures
    If he finds it coming from the alternator, ecommend he brings that alternator in for a check and a rebuild is probably in his future. If nothing is found to be wrong with the alternator, he's going to have to get that RFI under control. Here's a link that explains the issue with some solutions - Easy solutions to Radio Frequency Interference

He might end up wanting or needing some RFI/EMI supressors/filters, and we've used filters directly to the voltage supply to the effected equipment, along with ferrites and capacitors. This unit has worked well, even though we use it mostly on SSB/MF/HF radios, the concept is still the same.. and he would essentially just install and connect it in-line on the power cable to the Sounder, as close as he could get to the effected device. I would also recommend him having him call and speak to the company that sells it (Palomar Engineers) as they are great in support and have everything he might need to take care of the actual source of the problem. Good luck to him!
    - Palomar Engineers®

3. Cleanlines78

Cleanlines78 Senior Member

Sprinklerfitter
    Boat Make:
    27 nauset lobster
    Hey thanks Chris. I sent him a link to the thread and he was pumped to see that someone knew what it was. I told him I would post it and he didn’t think much of it. He is sold now. He asked if we would give him shot for owning a novi though. I think he’s signing up as we speak. Either way thanks again. This is such a good group of guys and jam packed with knowledge.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Regman99 likes this.
  4. RCLS2016

RCLS2016 Member

Maintenance Tech
    Boat Make:
    Lookin For One
    Excellent articles, Chris