FYI Hamilton has their open house sale this week

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I think it depends on if you live in a state with sales tax or not. The state where the buyer lives is the one that is getting the taxes.
Doesn't explain it. Both ME and MA have sales tax. When I was in business, MA law said I did not have to pay sales tax to out of state firms if they didn't have a presense here in MA (a store warehouse) even if they had salesmen here.

tsharac

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Tim
Boat Make
1976 20' Eastporter; 1976 16' Stratford dory
Doesn't explain it. Both ME and MA have sales tax. When I was in business, MA law said I did not have to pay sales tax to out of state firms if they didn't have a presense here in MA (a store warehouse) even if they had salesmen here.
That was the law under Quill Corp. v. North Dakota (1992), which was overturned by South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc., Overstock.com, Inc., and Newegg, Inc. in 2018.

When were you in business - before 2018?

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Yes. b/4 2018. Still doesn't explain to me RI firm charging MA customer vs: ME firm not charging MA customer.

leaky

Vice Admiral
Yep there seems to be some grace period or grey area but legalise types I know seem to indicate eventually it will be universal.

When it happens you shouldn't feel too bad about it. I haven't worked in MA in a year, live in NH and still paying income tax to MA only being able to deduct based on my historical records. All because Baker says so. That is until/unless the Supreme Court case gets decided in NHs favor. Mass sucks, every bit of it, a shithole communist state.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
It always amazes me when one state can run w/o sales or income tax and a neighboring state needs both. And I don't buy the high property tax answer you usually hear. MA is a beautiful state however except for the taxes and the communists.

leaky

Vice Admiral
It always amazes me when one state can run w/o sales or income tax and a neighboring state needs both. And I don't buy the high property tax answer you usually hear. MA is a beautiful state however except for the taxes and the communists.

Yep its sad the political situation there. Wasn't always so bad, just keeps getting worse like they want to see how far they can push it.

Add: if you think its bad now, if MA gets their hand slapped in that court case (which has another 14 states jumping in with NH including CT) they are going to need to makeup a revenue stream of hundreds of millions that not only will stop but is also going to need to be paid back, plus interest. You know they won't cut spending, who is going to fund all that? Yep sorry guys.

Last edited:

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
Yep its sad the political situation there. Wasn't always so bad, just keeps getting worse like they want to see how far they can push it.
Probably a full 80% of people out there a like Cypher. Just plug me back in, ignorance is bliss.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Imagine, if you had a business in Boston, paid your taxes for 20 years (some of the highest in the nation). Then there was a riot and Boston Police, surrounding town police, State police, & National Guard were all there. But they stood with their hands in their pockets, not even protecting their own vehicles, while stores were looted and burned the length of two main streets. I don't think anyone wants to pay anything to this state.

leaky

Vice Admiral
Imagine, if you had a business in Boston, paid your taxes for 20 years (some of the highest in the nation). Then there was a riot and Boston Police, surrounding town police, State police, & National Guard were all there. But they stood with their hands in their pockets, not even protecting their own vehicles, while stores were looted and burned the length of two main streets. I don't think anyone wants to pay anything to this state.

Nope - unfortunately MA is cashing in a Covid check which will keep them floating (overspending) for awhile longer. The unethical tax bullying was a sign of desperation, the post Covid economy sooner or later is going to catch up with them as big businesses have realized its not necessary to keep offices there.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
They will continue tho to collect property taxes on those buildings full or empty

leaky

Vice Admiral
They will continue tho to collect property taxes on those buildings full or empty

Yep they will, and kinda like the income tax thing they will claim that they are entitled to it at pre covid levels. It's not sustainable though unless everything returns exactly how it was pre covid and it's looking like it won't.

From where I'm standing, working in the corporate world, they are seeing big $$ to be trimmed via real estate reduction. Basically the experiment of suddenly everyone working from home was conducted and productivity stayed the same. That doesn't work for all jobs in all industries of course but someone like say a software engineer, technical support, all types of management, sales, human resources, accounting, marketing, training, technical writers, we haven't been able to detect a problem that arose after a year of everyone working from home and the employees generally are happier - no sense paying for office space.

My teams have labs, sure we have to keep those, but we don't need all the desks, phones, etc.. etc..

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers

Pamela Anderson is beautiful too except for the hepatitis C...

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
West Marine price matches in Alexandria, VA, too. It's universal based on their website.

Price Match Guarantee​

If you find a lower price on an identical product at a local retail store, West Marine will match that price within 30 days of purchase.

We will price match:

• Local Stores within 50 miles
  • Amazon, direct from Amazon only
  • Sale and regular prices before shipping, handling and/or sales tax charges
  • Retail prices for wholesale Customers
West seems a "court of last resort" to me. Price match = if you catch us grossly overcharging as usual, we will match.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
West Marine just sold again to some holding company. West Marine is the "convenience store" of marine suppliers, you don't really want to buy anything there if you can help it.

leaky

Vice Admiral
West Marine just sold again to some holding company. West Marine is the "convenience store" of marine suppliers, you don't really want to buy anything there if you can help it.

I definitely agree, although their prices have been coming down a bit, at least on some things. For instance was shopping for a generator muffler the other day and if I picked the model they had, the regular price was actually the lowest I found anywhere.

The thing you realize if you ever buy from West Marine on a good port supply - literally it will be 50% off on certain things, so they must be charging > 100% markup to get there.

Was a lot better back when we had BoatUS, Boaters World, and West Marine - kinda kept everyone in check and there were a lot of boat supermarkets to choose from. When West Marine took over everything, their prices just went through the roof. The BoatUS by me was more like a hardware store inside, just bins and ordinary shelves, prices were good and usually were staffed by old sailor types who absolutely knew their stuff. Now you go into West Marine and it's all bling, granted they do have some good people in there too but more often than not it's a high school girl running the register who couldn't tell the difference between a 6 and 25 lb anchor without looking at the tag.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
To me, West stepped on their own dick when they got greedy and went Port Supply. It seemed like, in order to offer discounts and delivery to the trade, they raised store prices opening the door again for local stores and even marinas after capturing all that business over the years by buying out or putting out of business most other sellers. Greed strikes again. Love it.
I represented a company for 20 years that wanted it all, wanted to sell direct, through distributors and finally online. They started out as the largest in the business and ended up an also-ran. They bought competitors out time and again and could have used those names to sell other channels. But no, too vain, everything had to be under their name. They had it all and then nothing.
They all read the same book at Harvard Business School.

Top Bottom