Galley Renovation

bennyT

Ensign
Website
www.facebook.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I'm thinking about removing the old, large, and UGLY stovetop in my galley. I can remove the stove pretty easily, but need some ideas to fill the hole left by the large 3 burner stovetop. I was thinking about making a walnut insert to fill the hole and give the formica countertop a cool "cutting board" look. Any idea on how I could secure the wood insert in the hole left by the stove removal? I could support it from underneath or cut 90 degree grooves in the formica to hold the piece, or...??

Thanks.

bennyT

Ensign
Website
www.facebook.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
will put one up tomorrow when i take it, but it's just a large, rectangular piece that will leave a large rectangular hole in the formica top. I may end up renovating the entire galley at some point, but I just want to get this stove out of there for now and do something that looks decent and won't cost too much.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
If you want some type of cooking instrument in that area, there are some fine looking alcohol stoves that are pretty safe - as safe as alcohol stoves can be, drop-ins pre-made with cutting board inserts when the stove isnt in use.

bennyT

Ensign
Website
www.facebook.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
its a huge (probably not marine grade) LPG stovetop. Any stove out there now would be too small to replace the monster that's already there. Honestly, I'd be happy just getting flat countertop and getting a portable stove. I really never use it anyway.

bennyT

Ensign
Website
www.facebook.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
When I spoke to the Nauset marine guys, they said they built the boat pretty "bare" so I was guessing they didn't put that stove in.

Last edited:

Kodiakan

Commander
Might get a chunk of King Starboard from Ebay. Cut it to fit. You can put wet dishes on it, use it as a cutting board etc. Great stuff.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Dont think I would go walnut either way though as it turns black when it gets wet although I guess most woods do. Might go maple and oil it with vegetable oil every month or so like a cutting board.

My boat came with an insulated sink well (no faucet) which is great. A couple bags of ice will stay frozen for a couple days and it holds all kinds of drinks/food. Not sure you have the depth for one. Any way to just fit a piece of plywood with chocks to hold a larger cooler in place?

galley

we gutted and rebuilt a 28' Nauset that was water damaged. It had the same kind of galley. You might consider having a new countertop made. This allows you to reuse the sink and eliminate the need for what appears to be a very large cutting board or starboard to fill the hole that is left when the stove is removed

Latest Posts

Top Bottom