Garmin 3210

BunkerMan

Commander
Hello all I have a second back up garmin 3210 that has a burnt out back light in it. The unit powers up fine and gets signal but the screen does not light up. I was told it could be just a simple fix or a bit more detailed. I called garmin and they told me that they no longer have any spare parts in stock for that unit. Any help would be great I am not sure who to call or who I can trust to fix this machine.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
You may find someone on here that can help you out, we have an awful lot of good resources here but my gut tells me that you are about to get the Garmin disappointment. Great products with great cartography but when they are done with a product line and discontinue its sale and manufacture they take all there spare parts and components for the "outdated" piece and chuck them in the dumpster as well as end all support for the component. There thought is that they are cheap enough, just by a new one.
I think that is crazy personally.

Dr Dude

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Right on Dude! There is your answer Morty:)
If support is what you are looking for then Furuno is the only way to go in my estimation.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I haven't had to deal w/ Garmin support for about three years, but three years ago it really sucked. At the end of the day, Garmin is more interested in selling throwaway shit for cars and small boats; fishermen are much better off w/ Furuno.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
In fairness to Garmin, I had on old out of date hand held GPS unit. The warranty was long gone and it began to give me issues. I called Garmin and they told me to send it back to them. Two weeks later I received a package with a brand new equivalent unit and full warranty. I can't complain about that at all........except that one became out dated as soon as I opened the box......you all know how that goes.

BunkerMan

Commander
Thanks plowin and all that have chimed in. I have a Furuno nav net unit as well and in my opinion is the best radar I have ever used but for easy use the garmins hav been very user friendly and easy to use both for me and for anyone else running my boats. Hopefully I will find a tech that can open this up and take a look to fix it

Kodiakan

Commander
Thanks plowin and all that have chimed in. I have a Furuno nav net unit as well and in my opinion is the best radar I have ever used but for easy use the garmins hav been very user friendly and easy to use both for me and for anyone else running my boats. Hopefully I will find a tech that can open this up and take a look to fix it

I've had Furunos on my boats since the mid 90's and do like them, though when I bought my current unit I had a great deal of sticker shock. I installed a Garmin 545s I bought used for 400 bucks as a backup. Quite frankly it is amazing. I find myself using it when I'm trolling drop offs etc. It is a breeze to use and if it goes down I'll toss it and pick up something new. I know, throw away society and all, but I'm tired of fighting the trends.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
On the boat I have now I went with Raymarine and not Furuno and it was all about the cost, Furuno has gotten out of control. I also use a Garmin in the tower, it replaced a Furuno. The Garmins are very easy to operate I just don't care for there support (there is none)after a few years when they no longer make the unit you have.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Morty, the problem is sourcing the parts, most likely its swapping out the tft display. You can try searching on ebay for displays, split your unit. The display will have a tag on it, vendor/model or vendor/serial. Search about it that way. Could also be a ribbon cable, hard to tell without seeing the unit. There is no value in sending it out, by the time your done paying for the fix, you could have bought a new updated unit.

ebay has one up right now for 399, if you REALLY REALLY like that unit

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
Hey Mort,

Drop me a line at the office, 914-235-4023. The 3210 was a GREAT unit, and I might be able to get it fixed for you. That was Garmin's last, in my opinion, great unit. It was a straight up, easy to use chartplotter. Then came the 4000/5000 series, a brand new operating system, much more limited buttons and in their touchscreen units, no buttons at all. Very disapointing, as some here may not believe it but I used to be a huge Garmin guy before they changed things up, tried to make their systems more like MFDs with subquality sounder and radars, with an unacceptable failure rate. Sorry to rant, it's just been a while!
Miss you guys, now that Thanksgiving is over I'll be able to be back on here a lot more posting rather than just fielding PMs. I have to leave at 2PM to Morty, try to call before hand.

914-235-4023.
Ask for Chris or Wharf Rat, or simply the Rat, or even GoAT. Everyone here will know who you're looking for.
Hello all I have a second back up garmin 3210 that has a burnt out back light in it. The unit powers up fine and gets signal but the screen does not light up. I was told it could be just a simple fix or a bit more detailed. I called garmin and they told me that they no longer have any spare parts in stock for that unit. Any help would be great I am not sure who to call or who I can trust to fix this machine.

Top Bottom