Garmin 4212

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by JimRP31, May 29, 2018.

1. JimRP31

JimRP31 Captain

Sales
    Boat Make:
    Willis Beal/RP 31
    I was given a Garmin 4212 by my father inlaw. Wharf Rat set me up with a new Garmin HD Radar and backbone. I found a cheap used GSD22 for my sounder a B117. Now that everything is installed I updated Garmin SW. I also checked for chart updates. Not surprising my chart
    "US Canada Bahamas detailed map. V2012.15" cannot be upgraded. My question is if I spend money on a new Bluechart will it be worth it? I know having a current chart is better than an older chart but I wanted to see if anyone else is running a older Garmin plotter and new charts.

2. fortier256

fortier256 Captain

Boat Make:
    Fortier 26
    Not sure what your cruising range is but I have been running 15 year old Garmin charts recreationally anywhere between Ptown, Nantucket, and Montauk. The rocks haven’t changed much :) I use Navionics on my IPhone and Nobletec on my IPad (with updated charts) as backup and / or to confirm aids to navigation when necessary. Maybe time for a new Garmin this year although the Navionics and Nobletec are pretty damn reliable. I do carry paper charts (not necessarily updated) as sometimes I need to see the “ big picture”

3. fortier256

fortier256 Captain

Boat Make:
    Fortier 26
    I might add that I am “ fair weather “ cruising. Avoiding the fog and weather when possible.

4. JimRP31

JimRP31 Captain

Sales
    Boat Make:
    Willis Beal/RP 31
    Thanks I have navionics on my phone. Might stick with my current charts and get a GPS antenna for my iPad as a back up.

5. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    I would stay as-is. I have discontinued Garmin's as well. A 7212 just went down, Garmin had reconditioned it a year ago, they want $750 to do it again. Versus me buying some good used ones for $1400, or upgrading whole system to new at extremely higher dollars.

Point is, the 4212 is on borrowed time, if you can manage as-is, save the $$$ for when you really have to do something, like replacing it. If you like the Garmin I would also keep an eye on the web for used 5212, 7212 etc., if you can find a good deal grab it and put it on the shelf for backup versus scrambling when you really need it.

6. fortier256

fortier256 Captain

Boat Make:
    Fortier 26
    I had an iPad without GPS and used a GPS antenna. Too many moving parts for me. I sold my non GPS IPad on eBay and got a Cellular IPad from Verizon. They hooked me into a 24 month cellular plan for $10 per month. Plus discounted pricing on the IPad. Just as reliable as the Garmin. Really the only concern with the IPad is water or dropping it.

JimRP31 likes this.
  7. Charlotte

Charlotte Member

You don’t need an active cellular plan to have gps, just a cellular version of the iPad.

JimRP31 likes this.
  8. fortier256

fortier256 Captain

Boat Make:
    Fortier 26
    Charlotte. You are correct. Verizon basically discounted the Ipad enough at the time so that the Ipad and 24 months of cellular ($240.00) at Verizon was close to purchasing the IPad elsewhere at retail. Or that was my perception anyhow :)
    Of course you can get a new Garmin 742 with WiFi and Radar ready for $699 or less.

9. JimRP31

JimRP31 Captain

Sales
    Boat Make:
    Willis Beal/RP 31
  10. SemperFishBoston

SemperFishBoston Senior Member

Fireman
    Boat Make:
    AJ26 Duffy
    I run dual 4212’s on my boat. One for the chart and one for the sounder. I like them alot. If u fish then mariner’s view is the balls for showing structure. I use mine from boston harbor to stellwagon, cape ann to p-town zero problems. Upgraded my sounder module to a gsd24 thru the wharfrat and very happy. Fwiw.

11. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    I got them off eBay. I have found that as long as your seller has a good number of positive reviews, you are pretty safe. Our fed ex shipment was all screwed up and the seller kept right on top of fed ex to get it right. I did not buy from one of the "stores", you can tell them by reading the whole description, but from an individual. I usually ask a few questions about the item first, to get a feel about the whole thing. Individuals are more apt to lower the price, as usually they have just upgraded and really just want to sell the item. I paid $1400 for a new one, still all wrapped up, and she had another one four years old, $1000.

I am very hesitant about Craig's list ads

12. fortier256

fortier256 Captain

Boat Make:
    Fortier 26
    I have Nobletec Time Zero ($50 in App Store) on my IPad. Nobletec gives me a full set of raster charts and allows me to compare with the Navionic vector charts on the iPhone and Garmin.

Attached Files:

Wharf Rat, JimRP31 and Genius like this.
  13. fortier256

fortier256 Captain

Boat Make:
    Fortier 26
    One issue I haven’t overcome is being able to “integrate” the IPad with my Sitex Autopilot. Nobletec will wirelessly connect / overlay with the Raymarine wireless radar so it says.

14. JimRP31

JimRP31 Captain

Sales
    Boat Make:
    Willis Beal/RP 31
    Thank you. I will take a look on EBay.

15. greg

greg Captain

I have a 6212 that I'm thinking of swapping out. I currently have a 7612 and the 6212. I have updated G2 vision charts for each. The bathy charts are very useful for fishing, and they alone are worth the price of the chip. Prior to the 7612, I had the 6212 and a 4212. I like running with the radar on the 6212 and charting/sonar on the 7612. I don't like lots of small boxes.

The 42xx's, the 52xx's, the 62xx's, and the 72xx's are all considered obsolete by garmin, but they are still very solid performers. They still work with the GSD line, including the 26 if you need Chirp, and almost all the radar antenna's (except for the Phantom broadband units). I'm pretty sure they are supported by the new AP's as well.

If you still use a lot of NMEA 0183 devices, you really want one of these. The new 76xx's and the like only have 2 pairs of nmea 0182 leads. They are moving full speed to n2k.

Anyway, the only reason I would upgrade would be to be able to have the latest gadgets supported on both units. If I get a chirp ducer for example, I can only run it natively on the 7612, and couldn't display iit on the 6212 unless I spent $1500 or more on a GSD 26.

Decisions, decisions. Maybe I'll just list it up and see if there is any interest in it.

greg,
  16. greg

greg Captain

Oh, and btw, I just upgraded my chips (free update) to the 2018 release. It's a VUS511L-Boston-Norfolk G2 vision card. I still have the old chip; it is too small to upgrade; those I think are at the 2016 release. It's yours if you want it.

Just remember me if you see a crew call or have some south of the vineyard info to share. ;)

greg,
    JimRP31 likes this.
  17. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    The Nobeltec app can connect/overlay with the Furuno DRS4W Wireless Radar ONLY. Be careful there. It's actually pretty cool, but I honestly would recommend sticking with a WIRED radar, stand alone or using an inexpensive MFD.

As far as networking the App to the pilot, you'll need an NMEA0183 Wireless Server/Gateway. Digital Yacht makes one, but to kill two birds with one stone, take a look at the Vesper Marine XB8000 AIS. It's a great AIS transceiver, but even cooler is you can connect it to the Si-Tex pilot via the NMEA0183 output from the Vesper at 4,800 BAUD, connect Wirelessly to the Vesper unit and not only will you be able to output Nav Data to the pilot from the app, you can also overlay AIS targets onto the app from the XB8000's WiFi access point. You'll have to pay for the Nobeltec App's AIS Unlock, but that would be a pretty slick solution. On top of that, if you get a radar/MFD that's NMEA2000 compliant, you can also network the AIS to the radar to have the targets overlaid on the radar display, which is where you really want them. You can still go to a radar that's NMEA0183 only, but you would have to get a multiplexer to control the data output at two different speeds (4800 BAUD to the AP, 38,400 BAUD to the Radar for AIS Targets). Just a thought.

18. fortier256

fortier256 Captain

Boat Make:
    Fortier 26
    Thanks Wharf Rat. Great info. This technology is moving too fast to keep up with......If it weren’t for you. Thanks again!