Gas Engine

mattinri

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Nordhavn 46
Would you consider a gas engine in a new build? The prices if the tier 3 engines are going through the roof and the fuel injected gas engines are pretty good, so maybe the equation is changing. I understand over a certain power requirement (hull size and desired speed), diesel is the only way to go. Also if a long range (canyon boat) is needed the diesel efficiency may be needed.

Here are my parameters: 31-33 DE, 150-200 hrs a year. coastal cruiser/recreational fishing built fairly light for a cruiser. Desired cruise 15-16 kts. Opinions?

Prime Time II

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Maine Coaster
A dock mate of mine has a 30 ft. Island hopper that he put a crusader fuel injected 454 in .I beleive he cruises at around 18 knts.Not quite a down easter but i beleive he is happy with the gasser.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Lots to be said about V8 gas power vs diesel. I had a pr. of 5.7 Crusader FWC in my old Bertram.

Local guy to me has a beautiful 29 H&H tricked out with tower/pulpit etc.
I wouldn't say "lightly" built.
Has a 6.0 GM Vortec in it. Maybe a Crusader, not sure. The boat runs GREAT. Quiet and ZERO exhuast fumes. He considered a diesel but his boating bride is super sensitive to diesel fumes.
He's happy with the performance and is approaching 800+ hours I believe.

He considered a boat in the 32 range (H&H) but could not get enough oomph out of a gas engine.

Also, we all know the Glen Holland is a fan of V8 gas power in his 32 Holland.

For the money, bolt in a big block Crusader, run it for 1200-1500 hrs. and then repower. Still maybe cheaper than one Tier III diesel..LOL

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland
Last edited:

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Lots to be said about V8 gas power vs diesel. I had a pr. of 5.7 Crusader FWC in my old Bertram.

Local guy to me has a beautiful 29 H&H tricked out with tower/pulpit etc.
I wouldn't say "lightly" built.
Has a 6.0 GM Vortec in it. Maybe a Crusader, not sure. The boat runs GREAT. Quiet and ZERO exhuast fumes. He considered a diesel but his boating bride is super sensitive to diesel fumes.
He's happy with the performance and is approaching 800+ hours I believe.

He considered a boat in the 32 range (H&H) but could not get enough oomph out of a gas engine.

Also, we all know the Glen Holland is a fan of V8 gas power in his 32 Holland.

For the money, bolt in a big block Crusader, run it for 1200-1500 hrs. and then repower. Still maybe cheaper than one Tier III diesel..LOL

Next time I see the owner, I'll get the gear,prop sizes and cruise numbers.

Top Bottom