gas verses diesel in boats under 35'

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
Marine Engines : Power Options - Gas Versus Diesel

A comment captainlarry made about the 26 duffy for sale with a gas engine. and how these new gas engines in smaller boat are not a bad way to go is in agreement with this boat serveyer thoughts on the matter of gas verses diesel. it a long read but very informative

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
posted in 1997 and revised in 2001.... That is PRE shitty alcohol fuel and when gas was cheap.

That new alcohol fuel is destroying engines and fuel systems in everything from weed wackers to big sport fish.

Not to mention David Pascoe could find something wrong with a gold brick

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
You know something that always sat with me in my General Marine 26. If I was mainly fishing 1.5hr runs, why not gas. Sure I wanted diesel. In the end the mainstay run was 45 minutes to 1.5hrs. If I blew up my TAMD41PA and wanted it rebuilt it was 17K, if I wanted a bigger 300HP it was like freaking 35K or so. Look at what a gas engine would have been. I dont know... do the math is all we can say because it can fit either way depending on what you do.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
A gas engine in a 26 foot boat is an option, in a 35 is a totally different situation.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
My dad almost bought a new Luhrs 35 with gas 502's... OMG... that would have been embarrassing...

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Oh, I don't know. Would depend on the usage of the vessel. Lobstering in and around the bay, gas would be fine. Cruising to an island, gas would be fine. Cocktails at the marina, gas would be fine (hey, you're only charging the batteries for the ice maker anyways).

Heading out to the canyons... yeah, there's the rub right there. Any real distance traveling and the diesel is probably going to be the way to go for sure. Stop and go traffic, putting about, gas would be easier. Less weight, less room needed, you can suck a lot of gasoline through the fuel lines before you begin to offset the cost of a diesel.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
All good points! Charging the batteries for the ice maker comment to me laughing!

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
THis just got me to thinking that a 26 general marine or a seaworthy 28 with a gas engine may work just fine or a duffy 26'. If you burned a third more gas that may not be so bad? all thing considered. ya if your a professional fishermen like some of you guys then a diesel may be a must but for a guy like me the does a 1500 mile trip to alaska for three or four weeks a year and the rest of the time shorter cruises maybe a a gas rig is the way to go. any opinion on that i would love to here them. plus you could afford a newer boat that way. hmmmmmm. and a flush deck!

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
You can build SBC gas long blocks for pennys on the dollar if you dont need the range. Its definatly the way to go.

but you need to contend with the alcohol gas issue. Tanks, lines, filters, seals and gaskets. water in fuel, lack of power.. the list goes on.

As a base line to change from 100% race gas to running 100% alcohol. we would have increased our fuel consumption 5 times. 1 gal of gas = 5 gallons of alcohol to fuel the same engine ( which would make more pwer over all but not enough to warrient the switch). So whats that mean for 20% alcohol in your fuel>?

We all know a diesel needs to be RUN. if you are going to cruise 5 miles to the bay and back..... U will hurt the engine more with marine age than wear and tear

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
THis just got me to thinking that a 26 general marine or a seaworthy 28 with a gas engine may work just fine or a duffy 26'. If you burned a third more gas that may not be so bad? all thing considered. ya if your a professional fishermen like some of you guys then a diesel may be a must but for a guy like me the does a 1500 mile trip to alaska for three or four weeks a year and the rest of the time shorter cruises maybe a a gas rig is the way to go. any opinion on that i would love to here them. plus you could afford a newer boat that way. hmmmmmm. and a flush deck!

Guitarman,

see this beautiful 29 H&H tuna stick boat ???
does she have "a diesel" written all over her ??

001.jpg

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
over here we have ethenal free premium so most of the time i have been using that in my gas boats with out any issues so hopefully that will continue to be available. thanks for your imput.

CaptJ

Lieutenant
First Name
Josh
Boat Make
H and H 34' passenger ferry; Webber's Cove 26
I have a gas motor in my Duffy 26'. It is a Volvo 5.7 Liter. I have about 1700 hrs and put on 500 hrs a year. I have had fuel pump issues which gets expensive at $800 a pop but besides that the motor has run well using it year around in Maine. I get about 3.5-4 gallons a hour at a 13-14 knot cruise. The one big thing I like about the engine as opposed to the diesel is the weight saving. It is about 950 pounds with gear. Though I do like the looks of the new 4 cyclinder John Deere that replaced the old 6 cylinder 220 Deere. But it is 1150 pounds without gear and alot more expensive then the gas motor.

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
Hoop - a few guys built gasses for that reason in the 80's. Mostly guys that never left the bay - thought process was they're cheaper, quieter, and if your only going from Barnstable to the fingers or fishing ledge with a long run being the Gas Bouy, you didn't really need diesel.

That went away as everyone starting pushing further east.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
There was a real good looking gas stick boat for sale not all too long ago. I believe it had fresh power too. I think it was on craigslist.

Top Bottom