Gas vs Diesel

James4

Lieutenant
Found a 35 ft down east I really like but it's a gas motor ....any thoughts

Beamie

Commander
New MPI gas or old carb? How are you going to use your boat, hours a year??

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
I am in the process of repowering with a new mpi engine in my 26'. I couldnt justify the added expense of diesel for what I do with the boat and its size. But I would say there does come a point where diesel is needed to get proper performance out of a boat especially a downeaster with a single powerplant. I would think that with gas in a 35 you would be chugging along so I think its all about what your intentions are.

DBM

Commander
Lite User

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
If you're using it for pleasure with not a lot of use each year I agree you'll never see the fuel savings pay for the added engine and maintenance costs.

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
What size gasser? An 8.1 liter engine I hope. And how fast do you want to go?

If you want to cruise in the high teens, even an 8.1 liter engine isn't going to last very long.

If you can live with a 15 kt cruise and use it less than 200 hours per year, then a gasser makes sense.

But yes, downeaster seams to say diesel to me.

David

James4

Lieutenant
Gas vs diesel performance

The add suggests cruise speed at 12 knots/top speed 17 knots

Seems kind of slow...all things being equal would a diesel powered boat such as this perform better

More horses not necessarily more speed?

Is 1100 a lot of hours on a gas engine

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
12 kt cruise wouldn't be too bad for an 8 liter engine in a 17-18,000 lb boat. If it tops out at 17 kts which is about 400 hp for an 8 liter, then that means that it is pulling about 240 hp at 12 kts. A diesel at this power loading will run for many thousands, probably 5,000 or more if maintained well. An 8 liter gasser might go 2-3,000 hours.

But if you try to cruise it at 15 kts, then don't expect much more life. The real question is where did the PO cruise her? A compression test will tell you about piston, ring and valve condition.

David

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Found a 35 ft down east I really like but it's a gas motor ....any thoughts

James,

One consideration NOT mention so far is the "safety" of cruisng around with or sleeping on 300 gallons of gasoline versus diesel fuel.

Some owners it matters a GREAT deal, others not so much.

" No smoking " :confused:

pugsley

Captain
we had a 350 gasser in the 35 bruno for years and years. 12kt cruise, at 2800, about 20-21 in the corner. we used the boat about 1000 hours a year, it worked fine, got about 7k hours out of the last motor, still ran good just leaked oil everywhere. the set up worked fine, but don't get me wrong it's way way way better with the diesel in it.

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Wasque 32, Shelter Island 38

Frank

Commander
Sorry to hear about your nephews CO incident Old Bay. I just want to make sure you and everyone else here realizes that Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, diesel, home heating oil, propane, natural gas, kerosene, wood, or charcoal etc. is burned.

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Wasque 32, Shelter Island 38

Frank

Commander
Great, just wanted to make sure everyone is in the know about this. Carbon Monoxide poisoning is sneaky stuff. An odorless, colorless killer.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
On DE boats I endorse gas up to 26’. A 35 foot DE boat with a single gas motor is a push. 12 knots is also pretty slow. Add some tide and you’re down to 10 knots. Next is the handling with such a lack of speed and power her seabuilty can also be marginal especially in a following & beam sea.

pugsley

Captain
Pugsley, do you remember your GPH at cruise speed? Thanks.

sorry i don't remember, but i know it was 25-30 gallons a day fishing 500 crab pots, about hour steam each way, plus running between lines with the diesel it was 15-20 gallons. i know it costs about $30 to change the oil in a gas motor, and about $110 in the diesel. i could buy parts for the 350 at the 7-11, and i hate calling the cat man. i still wouldn't go back to gas, but i wasn't the worst thing i have ever owned. (the 120 ford lehman was the worst.)

Coastal

Lieutenant
When I was a kid I saw a gas powered boat blow up. Literally, it was a fireball. It was very shocking. I cannot remember the exact cause, but they said that the owner had used some automotive parts instead of marine.

Top Bottom