General Marine 22

Seabass08

Lieutenant
22' pictures.

Hi All,

My first post here. I went up to Biddeford a few weeks ago to meet with Stacey about building a 22' with a the center pilot house this coming fall. He was kind enough to take a couple hours and take me out for a sea trial on a 22 center he had in the yard and talk with me about the 22 and downeast boats in general. He's a great guy to talk to and has probably forgotton more about boats than I'll ever know.

I have been looking for a 22 or 23' de with a big beam for a while now and this one seems to fit my needs pretty well. GM looks like a great builder and designer, and has a great track record (I have not read or heard anything but great things about GM) to boot.

Here are some pictures that I took (crappy iPhone camera) while I was there. This boat is huge for a 22 with its 9' beam, feels more like a 24 and has cavernous storage for its size.

- SB08

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_12.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

jj225

Lieutenant
So how did the boat handle and what type of conditions were you out in? What size motor is hanging off the back? Did you get a quote for what the PH will cost? Boat looks nice.

Seabass08

Lieutenant
It handled well. It was blowing about 15kts, a short 1-2ft chop. This boat had a Honda BF150 on it. It cruised at about 18kts and plowed right through the chop. Top end when we came back into the river and had calm water was 29kts and was surprsingly smooth and stable at that speed.

No idea on fuel consumption because there was no floscan but Stacey said it was about 4+ mpg.

With the center console set up it needs the trim tabs with the heavy honda on the back at 500lbs to keep the bow down at speed but it rides great. I think with extra weight of the center pilot house and the lighter e-tec it would ride even better.

As far as pricing it depends on how you have it finished and we are still working out those numbers. I am leaning towards having him build the hull with a wood deck and center pilot house and I will finish the rest and rig the motor. Stacey said around $20K for the hull the way I wanted it laid out... The $$ is usually in the finish!

xfor7

Ensign
22 general marine

Is that boat for sale. have been looking for a used 22 with the large console. Thanks Rob

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Nice looking rig! Does that boat have a short keel on it?

Seabass08

Lieutenant
Keel

It does. I'm pretty sure I took a picture of it, I'll see if I still have it.

jj225

Lieutenant
Forgot to ask how the boat drifted i.e. lots of roll or pretty stable?

Seabass08

Lieutenant
Is that boat for sale. have been looking for a used 22 with the large console. Thanks Rob
It wasnt for sale, that was the 1st question I asked him when I saw it.

Forgot to ask how the boat drifted i.e. lots of roll or pretty stable?
We didnt drift much because it was so damn cold. We just rode out and back but it seems really stable, probably 'cause of the 9' beam.

Nice looking rig! Does that boat have a short keel on it?
Anyone have any other suggestions on a similar 22' -24' o/b soft chine de that is worth a look? The 23 Crowley looks like it would fit the bill but the price is a way out of line. Wish I could find a 23' pointer in decent shape but they seem impossible to find. I'm liking the David J. Smith 22' novi too and price is reasonable.

IMG_1274.jpg

jj225

Lieutenant
Forget David Smith. I called him and he is no longer making the 22'. He said up to 18' is the max. Bummer. Crowley Beal is expensive and they'll only make 2 boats over the winter but they have the openings.

There was a nice Eastporter in Ohio for sale but that is off of CL now. Although not a CC.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Thanks for the pic. Haven't seen one of these in the flesh but spoke with Stacy about one maybe 10 years ago when he had a cabin version of this boat. Seems like a lot of boat for a 22 but it's too wide to legally trailer here in CT.

Seabass08

Lieutenant
The fuel economy is outrageous too, according to their website it's over 6 mpg!

Seabass08

Lieutenant
Maybe i didnt read this thread, are you looking for a lake boat ???
or a boat that can handle like a large sea boat ????
Seriously? Since when is a gm a lake boat? I can't put a decent size walkaround pilot house on a boat with a 7'10" beam and have the fishing platform I want. No boat is perfect, just looking for one that suits my needs.

Seabass08

Lieutenant
I don't doubt anything you are saying and I love the Lowell design. I just need a larger platform and I'm sure I will be sacrificing certain things because of that. There's no such thing as the perfect boat right?

I wasn't questioning the fuel economy, it's impressive! Thanks for the offer for the ride.

Last edited:
Top Bottom