General marine thread

Alext123

Lieutenant
First Name
Alex
How far are you trying to go? Diesels are good for extending range, but additional tankage is a LOT cheaper and maintain the good sides of gas power. Cheap, quiet, easy.
I try and go where the fish are. Sometimes it’s an 80 mile round trip. I don’t see why people say diesels require more maintenance than gassers. I am a mechanic by trade, diesels require fuel filters and clean fuel. Gassers need spark plugs. Wires. Cap rotor fuel filters. Run crappy gas or let gas sit over winter and carb goes to crap. I also drive a diesel truck (duramax) and same thing. Change oil and filters and runs like a top

buca18

Lieutenant
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' General Marine
Awesome setup! I want to set my boat up like yours with a tuna door and livewell in the transom and tanks in the floor, how much fuel does it hold
90. Two 45’s under the deck. No fuel gauges though, gotta watch fuel burn.

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
I try and go where the fish are. Sometimes it’s an 80 mile round trip. I don’t see why people say diesels require more maintenance than gassers. I am a mechanic by trade, diesels require fuel filters and clean fuel. Gassers need spark plugs. Wires. Cap rotor fuel filters. Run crappy gas or let gas sit over winter and carb goes to crap. I also drive a diesel truck (duramax) and same thing. Change oil and filters and runs like a top
I am also a mechanic by trade, both engines need maintenance, just different. My point was that gas engines are cheaper, easier (multiple brands of parts for common engines at any napa) and quieter.

I have a TAMD41 PA in my boat and it is a great engine, but finding parts is becoming a hassle. The gas engine that is going in will be much easier in that regard.

Alext123

Lieutenant
First Name
Alex
I am also a mechanic by trade, both engines need maintenance, just different. My point was that gas engines are cheaper, easier (multiple brands of parts for common engines at any napa) and quieter.

I have a TAMD41 PA in my boat and it is a great engine, but finding parts is becoming a hassle. The gas engine that is going in will be much easier in that regard.
What’s wrong with the volvo

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
I may be interested in the engine if you are going to get rid of it
I am going to build up the gas engine over this winter and plan on swapping it next winter. I will reach out. Great engine, fuel efficient, dry liners, relatively light, etc. The bad is the need for SW cooling of oil and charge air and the price of parts. I looked at a full rebuild and figured parts to do EVERYTHING and do it right would be around $10k. This one has 12k hours on it and still start right up and runs great.

Top Bottom