Generator question

maineguides

Lieutenant Commander
Im going to buy a Honda eu2000i and was wondering how I should feed it to my electrical system? I'm thinking the cleanest and easier way would be to hook it up to my shore power socket? Does this sound right"

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

roydawn

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Sea Fox 256
That's exactly what I did, made a nice 20 amp cord with a 20 A plug to go into the Honda & a 30 A plug to go into my my shore power inlet. Works great!! Also mounted the Honda 2000i on the swim deck with a ratchet strap, & added a SS eye bolt to LOCK the Honda to, I hear they tend to disappear at anchorages!! Roy

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Ripcat

Commander
I've got one.
When its on the boat it's up in the tower.
Rubber Matt under it.
Strapped down.
30 amp cord down to the boats shore power plug.
I mainly use it if staying out over night tuna fishing.
It runs 7-9 hrs on a gallon of gas but the accessory gas cap to an auxillery fuel tank is $ well spent.
Nothing worse that having to refill in the middle of the night with the boat rocking & rolling.

Ronnie...what mat do you use? I bought one for that exact purpose but it acted like a giant sneaker and scuffed the area all up.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Any way to add a hose to the exhaust to get it underwater? Always wondered about that but I have never been close to one.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Any way to add a hose to the exhaust to get it underwater? Always wondered about that but I have never been close to one.

What would be the use? It's air no matter if it put in the water or the air.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Just to make it quieter. Never been close to one...

manni-yunk

Commander
Just to make it quieter. Never been close to one...

The 2kw is so quiet, its ridiculous. The 3Kw is a tiny bit lounder, but not much.

You can stand 2 feet from it and carry on a conversation without speaking any more loudly than normal.

Those little Honda's are amazing. Between fuel consumption and quietness - they are worth every penny.

Ripcat

Commander
Nothing special for a rubber mat.
Basically I use one so the Generator doesn't slide around.
A little more vibration dampening is a benefit also, although these Honda's don't vibrate much at all.

Well I've gone to Home Depot, Lowes and local hardware stores but can't find a non-slip that won't mark the deck of my boat like sneakers do. Where'd you get yours?

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
Running a hose to the exhaust will probably result in a fire. Exhaust gasses, not to mention the muffler you hook it up to, get very very hot. Bad idea.

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
A 2kw unit is putting out a little over 18 amps at full load. A 3kw a little over 27 amps. You need to check the current draw on the unit and the pump. Start up current could be a problem if your at or even close to the maximum current.

Fishinengineer

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Duffy
Honda

2KW will run the A/C in my truck camper until the compressor cycles off, when it comes back on the generator goes into overload. I think there is some sort of soft start control for the camper A/Cs that may avoid this, not sure if could be adapted to a marine A/C compressor.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Running a hose to the exhaust will probably result in a fire. Exhaust gasses, not to mention the muffler you hook it up to, get very very hot. Bad idea.

They make a kit specifically for the EU3000is to do that....

DonnyP

Ensign
Boat Make
Hunt 36
A 2kw unit is putting out a little over 18 amps at full load. A 3kw a little over 27 amps. You need to check the current draw on the unit and the pump. Start up current could be a problem if your at or even close to the maximum current.

Thanks CaptJohn. The gen will be outside on the deck or swim platform when running, so no worries about running exhaust hose. I believe the full load amps is 10.9. I can't seem to find Start Up amps.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
The honda 2000 max 16.7 amp continuos 13.3. Doesnt give you much lee way with fridge charger and other items. Go bigger. It can be an expensive lesson overloading a genset. Always buy bigger

johnny g

Lieutenant
glacierbay cats used to offer the honda 2000i as an option.they had a fiberglass box that the gen went in and was mounted to the swim platform between the motors. it was vented so that the gen could run inside it but helped keep it out of the weather. had a hole to run the cord out of into the shore power connection on the boat. with the talent here im sure it could be done pretty easy

Top Bottom