Gillnet haulers

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
The haulers are good for ground fish not so much with dogs the spines get stuck in the rubbers and the flaker is the olny way to go trough the stone and let it fly wide open shore beats a Guy flaking all day gets the tits out nice there great I have used on stand ups monks and bag gear I'd pay to have one the olny way in my eyes

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
There about a dime a dozens here lol 3000$ each are you thinking about going back at it

I'm looking at a smaller model hauler that i found on youtube last night
Sovereign Net Haulers | Sovereign Workboats

as for a flaker i think i'll build one this winter, they look pretty easy to make :D

Do you think my boat is big enough to dogfish out of, i'd like to fish by myself but may get a crewman ??? Not looking to go hard core just enough to cover expenses and make a few bucks.
What do they use for dogfish gear ? 6 1/2" mesh size and how many nets do they fish in a string ? I'm guessing maybe 8-10 nets/string & 2-3 strings per boat ??
My wife retires next year and we're thinking about getting out of alaska for a few of the colder/darker months so shipping boat back and fishing for a few months might work out ok for me, its all just in the thought/planning stage right now but its kinda fun thinking about it.

Back in '84 i went to Japan looking at selling gillnet haulers called "Ball Rollers" they are something on the line of flakers, i had the jap version on my gillnetter , things didn't work out so they took it back but i had enough experience with them to build some on my own. I've tried to get in contact with the japanese company but they were located right where the tsunami hit so maybe they got wiped out ???
20130707_203243[1].jpg

20130707_203243[1].jpg

Last edited:

pugsley

Captain
i fish 25-30 md 5 1/2 for dogs 0.90 mm i think, 600 yards, 2 300 yard pieces,

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
i fish 25-30 md 5 1/2 for dogs 0.90 mm i think, 600 yards, 2 300 yard pieces,

Thanks Pugs !! I thought it was a federal reg minimum mesh size was 6 1/2 ? 90mm is some pretty heavy twine if i remember correctly, i had some for delaware bay weakfish years ago and it looked like 50lb mono !! So you don't have your nets in "shots or shackles" of 50 fathoms each ??? The 5 1/2 sounds like the right size for those bastages, ever try 6 ??

pugsley

Captain
no fed requirement, in fact they were encouraging using smaller mesh because all the large fish are females, and the males are smaller, and according to them all the dogs that are out there are males (yes they are out of their minds). 90 isn't real heavy for them i wouldn't go any lighter than 81.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Thanks again Pugs, i've been gone from there a long time so all i know is what i get from the commercial fisheries news and little bits from a friend back there but he lobsters so fish choking is foreign to him. I'm in no hurry to get back there so i have lots of time to do my research.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
anybody have any pictures of smaller boats(like mine) rigged for gillnetting with the spencer carter haulers and net flakers ??

helixenggcorp

Ensign
Gillnet Hauler

Good Day

We like to introduce ourselves as an manufacturer of Gill Net Hauler of 9 and 5 Tons Capacity. We guarantee one year for rubber layer layed in Middle of the Drum. Very easy to Install and operate user friendly. Fully made of Stainless Steel.

We have attached in this mail about the specifications and Photograph's for your kind perusal

We have already supplied 300 Units in India and running successfully.

Regards

Vishnu Selvan
Helix Engineering Corporation
India
+919944990797

hydro fish front.jpg

Top Bottom