Gillnet suppliers/costs

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
So where does a guy buy hung nets?? Must be lots of used gear around with the way the fisheries are going back there ? How about leadline weight ? different weight for different fisheries or same leadline for monks as for dogs or groundfish ??? I've hung miles of gillnets so building gear doesn't bug me but i'd rather buy some used gear and rehang as i get time. I'd think it doesn't take super gear to catch dogs ???

5akman

Commander
Website
www.alldrinsalmon.com
Boat Make
40' Snowball gillnetter
there was some used gear in Anch Craigslist for 500.00 a week or so ago. Check Donalson in Anch or the Gear shed in Homer. A new shackle of drift gear will set you back over 2k with the web hung.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
there was some used gear in Anch Craigslist for 500.00 a week or so ago. Check Donalson in Anch or the Gear shed in Homer. A new shackle of drift gear will set you back over 2k with the web hung.

Thanks but i'm talking about bottom gillnets like they use back east. Most if not all of the used gear we see here is old style junk, old corks and beat up lightweight leadlines. If i was going to fish in alaska again i'd just hang all new gear myself, i can get web, corks, leadlines at wholesale because of my shrimp pot business.

Fouraces59

Commander
First Name
Jay
Boat Make
26 Seaway CC
I was just talking to a guy yesterday that has a bunch of old nets and a lifter that he has been holding on to thinking it might turn around but probably just as easy could sell it all as he is lobstering full time. Not sure what he has exactly but he used to gillnet all Winter and has sold some of the nets to guys locally that are still fishing

In the Boston area, PM me if you want his number

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I was just talking to a guy yesterday that has a bunch of old nets and a lifter that he has been holding on to thinking it might turn around but probably just as easy could sell it all as he is lobstering full time. Not sure what he has exactly but he used to gillnet all Winter and has sold some of the nets to guys locally that are still fishing

In the Boston area, PM me if you want his number

Not interested in the lifter if its a crossley but if you could just find out what he has for nets i might be interested, just don't want to bother a guy with a phone call if its not what i'm looking for. Thanks for the reply.

Fouraces59

Commander
First Name
Jay
Boat Make
26 Seaway CC
Ok will probably talk to him tonight about some rope I have that he was interested in.

Fouraces59

Commander
First Name
Jay
Boat Make
26 Seaway CC
Steve, sent you PM with the details of the guy with the gillnets. He said to give him a call and he can tell you what he has.

WRHardie

Commander
I'm unfortunately living in Ohio right now but bou
There was a place in Rhode Island we would send or nets to but sorry man I can't remember the name maybe someone here knows who I'm talking about, if they're still in business. Good luck man, hey when do you think this will go down, if you decide to go ahead with it?

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
There was a place in Rhode Island we would send or nets to but sorry man I can't remember the name maybe someone here knows who I'm talking about, if they're still in business. Good luck man, hey when do you think this will go down, if you decide to go ahead with it?

Its all in the planning stage right now, most likely next fall. No problem on the gear i'll find some to get me started and i can hang/rehang gear once i get settled in, with a hanging bench i can hang gear in my living room while watching TV if i want to !!

Last edited:
Top Bottom