Gin Pole height

Linesiders

Lieutenant Commander
I am in the process of having a gin pole built for my boat and was looking for suggestions for the height from the top of the gin pole to the gunnel. I don't want to go to high and not be able to tow the boat over the road in the winters, nor do I want to have it look awkward going too high. I am trying to be realistic as to what size fish I am going to be bringing over the side. But I don't want to have a pole fabricated that won't work either.

Mainly be using it for big shark, with hopes of a giant. Any suggestions appreciated.

captcod

Lieutenant
just remember you lose over a foot with block and tackle and hooks and shackle....

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
just saw a friend of mine who made one. telescopic/ sleeved. the inside sticks up about 2" higher than the roof all the way down. has a few different height holes, about 8' when extended. pretty slick and simple

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

cb34

Rear Admiral
Pole

Three bolts and support cable and the pole comes off for winter storage.

157.jpg

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Some pictures of the ginpole on my old 31 JC. It is simple to build. I used an 8" length of aluminum conduit. The base plate cap & all hardware is still available from SeaIsle Sporting goods in Freeport. It has hauled many a fish.

kcanvas.jpg

b.jpg

kristen 052.jpg

Top Bottom