Glacier Bay 26' cat vs downeast

cooker5doo

Ensign
I am looking for a boat to use primarily to cruise around Long Island sound with the family. I was wondering what your opinions are or can compare characteristics of a 26' Glacier Bay (2670/2680) cat vs a 26' - 27' downeast boat (Fortier, General marine, Nauset) for this mission.
I know that the cat vs mono-hull debate has raged on various forums before but I haven't seen any comparisons specifically with downeast style boats.
Thanks a lot for your input.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
Last edited:

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
Devlin 48 & Marshal Sanderling
With the twin motors the cat will turn much better in tight places. The fuel consumption at speed will be fairly good as is the case with most modern motor cats. The cat will be shole and probably beachable. If the conditions are not extrem the cat will give a very good ride. The two motors will give a security edge on getting home. The appearence of the two is very different and on this site you won't get too many votes for a cat. In the north west alunium work and pleasure cats are very common they are the DE of the NW. The fisherman and livery guys love em. They are as ugly as all hell but they shore get the job done.

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
what do you want the boat to do? are you looking for mileage comparisons
room for cruising room to fish need a little more info. Marc at wefing marine sales both he may have some insight on the two.

Chum Pot

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Parker
They just haven't seem to caught on although all the spec's make sense. I know it's kinda silly to think re-sale at buying time for something you may have for 20+ years. You should buy what suits your needs, but the re-sale on a cat will stink vs. the other quality names you mentioned.
There is a charter that has one and when he pulls into a fishing spot we all just grimace, there are frick'n ugly boats, there I said it, ugly boats. Nobody post pictures of cats and says WOW that's a time tested beauty

Hooper

Captain
I've warmed up to Cats over the last few years! Maybe it's their seakeeping abilities that I admire...

I've been known to overlook a woman's appearance if she knows how to perform, lol! :D

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
GB's are the better of the cats as far as quality. You can NOT compare it to a DE or other mono for that matter. The GB's do well in tight close chop or big ground swells you put them out in north east 4-6, forget it, you get tunnle slap and the boat will shudder, they snap roll like a bitch on a big beam sea. They are weight sensitive. The GB's are displacement cats, they are on the slower end but yeiled impressive NMPG. cost of 2 outboards are high compared to one diesel as for maintenance. Repower cost is outrageous now for outboards. now for the DE, not a fast as the GB. I feel it will handle more conditions better. 2 feet more usable beam (makes HUGE difference). Don;t have to worry about weight. Better build quality depending on what you choose. Just plain old sexier looking. dont have to repower as often. easier to maintain. And SIMPLE

bobv

Lieutenant
For cruising LI Sound as you mentioned, the cat hull will be fine just a matter of how the comfort layouts suit you. I owned a cat boat (25'Ocean Star) CC for several years and pushed it to the limit many times fishing far offshore and canyons. As Jersey said a tight 4 foot head sea will jar your teeth and soak your feet as there is little displacement in the bow by design. Very punishing to troll in a tall head sea also. Quartering, beam and following seas all good. I own a DE now and as far as a sea boat there is no comparison to the cat. I am spoiled now and will not go far offshore in a small boat again.

greg

Captain
cat hull'd cc's are very popular down in the gulf out of venice. Those guys beat them to death and they seem to take it pretty well.

For the sound, I think it would be a good choice as long as you know the boats limits. You can run into issues having them hauled in a sling, and trailers need special construction.

The only negative I would lay on cats is they seem prone to rolling over. What happens is one of the hulls dips low and gets buried, then either a wave or the wind raises the other one up and over she goes.

Website
www.wefings.com
Boat Make
anything special and not common
Down East Boats have a timeless style that simply cant be argued with .That would be my choice for cruising with family. All boats have their strengths and weaknesses. Ill chime in with my thoughts on cats . There are 3 types of cats . Glacier Bay is a displacement cat , there are planing cats [the best in my opinion] [Twin Vee,Sea Cat,Renaissance,and others] , and semi displacment type , I.E World Cat. The Glacier Bay only rides well in a big ground swell.But thats about it. The displacment hulls bow steer badly and have caused many a broken rib with their tendency to sharply veer in short chop . I wouldnt own one for serious fishing .They are frequently overpowered to overcome hull speed so there goes the economy! They are nicely built though. The World cat is also well built , and if you throw enough power [fuel] at it will get up and go . The ones I have been on ride well ,dont have too many bad habits , slap annoyingly a trolling speed , but would be my second choice. Planing cats are the way to go , they have real economy , lots of "lift' and very few bad habits . The nicest one out there now is the Freeman Boatworks cats from the Carolinas. The best Tuna guys out of Venice ,La. have all switched over . They all started with GBs , went to Twin Vees , and now run Freemans. Check them out. Thats the state of the art now . BTW I dont have much in the way of cats these days. Just bay boats as the NMFS has ruined bootom fishing in the Gulf. Thats another story.
Marc
Marc

cooker5doo

Ensign
Thanks

Thanks for all the kind responses. Good point about the DE resale value - I have been looking for a few months and there appears to be no such thing as a good deal on a cruising DE boat.

In answer to the specific question about the mission - we want to cruise to and camp out at different locations on LI Sound - CT river to visiting Montauk or Martha's Vineyard. The Admiral and the little kids (girls) do not care for speed and definitely hate getting slammed or rolling in chop. So the smooth ride of the DE boats and the cats appeals to us. Also like to gunk-hole in shallow areas such as Selden creek or get close to the breach at Napa tree point.

We don't mind being cramped - and are immune to footitis. It is very important that the boat feels safe however. If I get caught in some rough stuff my cruising aspirations will face an early demise if the Admiral or the girls get too spooked!!

One clear advantage of DE boats - lots of helpful DE boat forum members!!

cooker5doo

Ensign
By the way while I think the DE boat have the most beautiful lines, I find that the "ugliness" of the cats also has an appeal - just like the old Saab cars.

cooker5doo

Ensign
Thnx Jerseysportsfisher. I had my eye on the boat but would prefer something that needs a little less TLC. I want to hold the line on price at 40K. If you guys know of any other DE cruisers that fit the bill please let me know.

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
it does seem like you pay more for downeast but the value is there. like a honda accord there known for holding there value but they run forever. same with downeast boats

fortier256

Captain
Boat Make
Fortier 26
Cat vs DE

Go with a classic boat unless you have money to burn. Having owned a Fortier 26 for 12 plus years has been great! Sometimes i want a faster boat and sometimes i would like a big trawler or true down east however I always come home to the Fortier. Stable, safe, large cockpit, 4 GPH at 14 kts. Good for an overnight or 3 for 2 people. People compliment the boat wherever i go. There is not a better Sunday afternoon boat for a swim, fishing, or harbor tour. Its probably worth pretty much (80%) of what I paid for it 12 years ago.

Its simple and easy to maintain. A Fortier or General Marine will cost you more then the CAT initially however in 10 years the Fortier or like boat will prove to be a lot less expensive overall then the CAT.

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
Id go with that first webbers cove on that list. Real nice boat at that money.

cooker5doo

Ensign
Webbers Cove

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I think the Webbers Cove is a really nice boat too but though it is listed as a 24' boat it is really 22'. With the pilot house it was suggested that it might not feel very stable. Do you know how it will compare to the Glacier Bay 26 in Long island Sound - especially in the afternoons when the winds pick up.

Top Bottom