Gladding Hearn 37'

tuna_fan

Captain
First Name
Eric
Considering taking a look at a steel Gladding-Hearn 37' boat. No idea what the condition is yet...and I have never worked on or owned a steel boat. Love the lines, just pretty sure this would be a big project....thinking the hull could have soft or thin spots rusting from the inside? Steel harder to work on than fiberglass? Advice / thoughts?!? :grin: Thinking it might go for short money....

New Picture.jpg

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Steel is real..... Many of the NYPD harbor launchers were made by GH. The key is to maintain the bonding system with great detail. Most were also keel cooled so they could run them 12 months a year. Rust from the inside usually never that deep. Cutting out soft spots & re-welding is an art but very repairable. Steel boat like that....the repower will kill you. Unless it has some nice 6-71s that can be rebuilt. I always love the GH.

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
2000 Genral Marine 31 duffy Hull
I drive by this boat daily. I always thought it could have some series potential. Steel is a bit intimidating to me , but I'd love to see her floating again.

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Having spent plenty of time needle gunning the 44' Motor Life Boat, highly recommend if interested to hire a quality surveyor who knows how to take shots of the hull. This is measuring the thinckness of the hull in hundreds of places to determine how much the original stell plate is gone. In order to do this properly they will most lilkley have to grind spots to bare metal or using a mil gauage subtract the thickness of the paint. The 44' was a beast and we all know GH has a superb reputation. Good luck if you decide to look at it.

Dave

tuna_fan

Captain
First Name
Eric
Thanks guys-I appreciate the input (and the PM's offering to discuss more in detail). I have left a couple messages for owner, nothing back. Probably just as well - after thinking about the work involved, and talking to a couple guys that know the boat...statements like "it is rusting out from the inside" have brought me to my senses...i don't know how to weld, but above the water fiberglass is much easier for me.... still love the lines and this could be a serious tuna machine for the right person (with time and $$).

Top Bottom