Glas-Spec boats?

HarborRd

Deckhand
Anybody heard of this builder? I knew of one down on the Cape a few years back that was a good looking, solid boat and have heard of a few others. Anybody have any background, i.e. who designed the hulls? The one I knew of was around 34'-35'.

Downeaster

1st Mate
Anybody heard of this builder? I knew of one down on the Cape a few years back that was a good looking, solid boat and have heard of a few others. Anybody have any background, i.e. who designed the hulls? The one I knew of was around 34'-35'.

Try the forum's search function. There was a discussion about GS in a thread under the title of Mussel Ridge - you participated in that thread as I recall.

MDI45

Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
They were a small company that had two molds in Surry Maine..they went out of business ...H & H bought there molds and are still building those models

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH.. Piscataqua and Merrimack Rivers
Boat Make
27 H&H with Cummins QSB 5.9 480 power
41 Glas Spec

Here's a pic of Tony Athens' (Seaboard Marine, CA) brother's boat.
Tony built this rig a few years back.
Glas Spec in Surry Maine layed up the hull with a modifed keel.
The hull was trucked back to Oxnard CA. to Seaboard for the build.
Tony's brother is a commercial fisherman out on the west coast.
The boat is a twin screw DE with a modified keel.
I've got quite a bit of info on the boat.
I'm thinking the boat is on it's 2nd or 3rd pr.of diesels,
+30,000 hours..

I'm thinking right now the boat has a pr. of Yanmar 6lps with remote Vdrives.

41 Glas Spec.jpg

Hammer Slammer

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
I believe that H and H has the molds now, the 34 and 36. The Peggy B 2 out of wychmere is a glass spec, owned by Ronnie Braun.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH.. Piscataqua and Merrimack Rivers
Boat Make
27 H&H with Cummins QSB 5.9 480 power
Any ideas what they are setting the line out for?

Here's the answer to your question!

"Main money is "lighting for squid"-- He has 30,000 watts of lights.. He did 7000 tons this season that closed about 3 weeks ago ( that's about $600K to the boat)"

"Other than that, it's "what ever happens to bite the hook".. That's a 10 mile reel of 1200 lbs test mono ( about 4 mm in diameter)"

Crazy Ivan

1st Mate
Boat Make
26 Duffy (sold)
Glass Spec

The name Glass Spec is still a sore subject in Maine. In the eighties they were under bidding everyone and selling a lot of boats. After finally after figuring out that they were losing money they went bankrupet (and keeping a lot of deposits).

googinhater

Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Man I spent a lot of time on the lady j out of Gloucester great boat slow olny has 350 HP 10kt boat but it go through anything an it will take a shitload of weight great boats

MDI45

Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
What 41 didn't glasspec make a 36 and 43 or something like that I fished on a 43 and there tanks
They made a 34 and a 42....which were bought by H&H.... The Fishermen II in montauk is a 42 with a flybridge ....owned by Paul Giangreco it was one of the last ones to be taken out of the yard by the Marshall

Last edited:

Top Bottom