Glassing in the transom ideas and advice

eztbone

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Holland 38
I'm going to be glassing in the transom, adding a transom door and painting the hull this spring. I could use some ideas and advice on this project. The slide in panels are flexed in a little. They are the pieces that were originally the transom before original owner cut it out. I plan to leave the tracks in place and press the panels back to the original profile and glass in vertical strips of marine ply or composit from deck to gunnel to support panels. Then remove stainless panel tracks on port side, run a grinder over openings on outside and lay in some tape and fairing. First question is, is this the right approach to return transom to original?
Second, advice on materials, I haven't used hull and deck before. Is this a good choice for filling and fairing? Next would be to fill panels gaps from inside and glass over. Then cut the door and hinge. I'm looking forward to the input. Thank you in advance

image.jpg

eztbone

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Holland 38
Why can't I add more than one picture

Here's the other picture. The plastic spacers at the deck and between panels will be removed and filled. The teak combing will be cut at door opening and hinge inboard onto itself and the door will swing out and latch.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom