1st Mate
Boat Make
Eastern Sisu 22
That was fun to listen to, thanks.

stumpstalker

Captain
Boat Make
22-ft. Tripp Angler inboard; 15-foot RP punt
Very enjoyable to listen to. It looks like the business will carry on.

A 40-year-old boat design, still going strong.

They never mentioned anything about the 22-footer.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Nick
Boat Make
25 Coombs Cove……unfinished.
Very cool video.
All of these builders seem to have the same labor issues, what’s the solution? Or is there a solution.. maybe Maine built custom boats we’re only supposed to be built one at a time.

It’s good to see the next generation staying involved.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Very cool video.
All of these builders seem to have the same labor issues, what’s the solution? Or is there a solution.. maybe Maine built custom boats we’re only supposed to be built one at a time.

You probably know what Cory at Millennial Marine did. Went to the Philippines and hired a work force that wants to work. It's sad what America has become.

Capt.Ben

1st Mate
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.retmarine.com
Boat Make
Sailfish
Very cool video.

The local high schools in the area (from Rockland east to Downeast) used to have robust boat building “shop” classes that would feed local boat builders. Sadly, most of these programs have been dramatically scaled back or eliminated. I wish they’d bring back shop classes with broad exposure across all the trades.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
The local high schools in the area (from Rockland east to Downeast) used to have robust boat building “shop” classes that would feed local boat builders. Sadly, most of these programs have been dramatically scaled back or eliminated. I wish they’d bring back shop classes with broad exposure across all the trades.
I don't feel it's experience or exposure. IMO it is society's and youths views on blue collar jobs. I've worked with some individuals driving boats that have made very strange comments about wanting to be a white collar worker... This was years ago, but since then...it's gotten worse. Like Mike Rowe preaches, we need to change this f'd up perception. But, the world has gone crazy and I'm not to hopefull that we can put that genie back in the bottle.

Last edited:

tunamojo

Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.wickedweasel.com
Boat Make
Wesmac 42 Scania 1150 HP

PatriciaLynn

Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
It is truly sad to see. IMO a high school graduate should know how to change a tire and cook a meal. I am not confident that is happening anymore. Some of this starts at home to.
Let's add some level of financial knowledge to that list as well. How can we put young people out into the world and not educate them on how to make reasonable finacial decisions?

Fishnjess

Commodore
Would love to see more of it! Tough thing about teaching though, we don’t control the purse strings on the courses. It good to see that a young guy in that age range is doing well in that trade. Well done Gavin!

Frank Grimes

Admiral
First Name
John
I’ve seen some really beautiful 38 Hollands finished out finestkind. Bradley Simmons did several. The one that Crusty Coasty has now, the gray hull with bridge and full tower, is a real beaut. That hull seems pretty adaptable to different uses.

Top Bottom