Gonna try and hook up on a porbeagle in the am

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
2000 Genral Marine 31 duffy Hull
Hopeing someone can help a Rockie out. Last weekend had a few ground fish come up half gone. I never saw anything chasing , but had some marks on the finder.
I'm guessing a porbeagle . I' ve got a set of tiagra 50's and a rec permit.
Whats the recommended setup. Not looking for trade secrets, just what you shark guys like to use for wire hook size?

Last edited:

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
#19 or smaller malin wire(coffee colored). Haywire twist to the hook. Almost any tuna type hook will work. Use about 10' 0f wire to a swivel and you probably have mono on the 50's which is fine. SInce he is eating your ground fish use that as bait. Take a tail section, push the wire without the hook in from the tail & out. Then twist the hook on & pull it back in the bait. use some wax floss to cinch the bait around the tail to the wire. About 20' up the mono you could just electrical tape a sinker on the line, 8-16 oz maybe. You could get into a baloon as a float or just fish righ next to the boat. You'll see the sinker & bait on the ff if current is not too bad so if you mark adjust bait depth.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
Also, I don't know where your fishing but don't be suprised if they are blue sharks. I would go to ipswich bay with mackeral for porbeagles, about 200' of water. Good luck and have fun.

Top Bottom