Gray Gelcoat

pugsley

Captain
I tint mine, and be careful when you do it, it doesn't take very much black to make it very very dark.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I buy it when I want consistency in the entire project and repairability down the road (bay). If it's a quick project, and I have the other colors kicking around, sure I'll mix up something. But its a bastard to get it to match. Black works with other colors too, not just white.

0708101641.jpg

pugsley

Captain
I buy it when I want consistency in the entire project and repairability down the road (bay). If it's a quick project, and I have the other colors kicking around, sure I'll mix up something. But its a bastard to get it to match. Black works with other colors too, not just white.

oh yeah, you will never ever match the color exactly again if you mix it yourself

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral

Where can I find light grey mixed and.. white that will match what I have. Nothing in my area matches and they claim, light grey isn't made anymore?????????????????????? Comin up on 5 years so I should do a little touchin up I suppose.. Them lobsters won't crawl into the traps with a scratch on the boat:mrgreen:

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
We run two brushable gelcoats as our in-stock colors. White and light gray. We use the digits on the end of the serial run to identify them. White is WE39 and the Gray is AE31. We sometimes get in a darker gray called Cutty Gray with the designation AE32.

AE32 is the same color as exterior gelcoat 505 which is a very interesting color. Depending on the amount and angle of the light hitting it, the color can be anywhere from a dark gray to a purple.

The dark red color of the dash in my boat is a mixture of 10 parts of 10+ year old gelcoat from $upplement and 2 parts Super Jet Black. Note: it isn't 5:1 it is 10:2 - oddly enough they are different colors.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Kailua Kid

Captain
Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
oh yeah, you will never ever match the color exactly again if you mix it yourself
Unless of course you measure to the nat’s brow your mixture, and then unlike me, record that exact recipe and put copies of the recipe in several really safe places. Using FiberLay, we were able to match the color (a light gray) well for several successive repairs, but then lost the recipe. I hate it when that happens. You can only get so far with “Yeah, that will buff out over time.”

Top Bottom