Great Forum!

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
I just wanted to introduce myself, as I've been a long-time lurker. I figured I needed to register, as when browsing, I couldn't see any uploaded images, especially in the classifieds.

I'm a Downeast fanatic, however never owned my own boat and I am currently at the peak of 'Find the Perfect Boat Fever.' However most other forums are cluttered with CC freaks with triple outboards or giant clorox bottle sportfishers, and this place seemed like home.

I'm only 30 years old and far from an expert, especially compared to you guys, when it comes to knowing one Beale design from another, but I want to learn.

My day job is running the marine electronics division of a diesel and yacht service center, so I'm seen my share of junk and some real beauties. However, I'm tired of 'Pretending' I'm running my own boat when calibrating autopilots and tuning radars, so I'm going all in. This seems like the perfect place to start.

Not to be a shill, but if anyone here does in fact need any new or used electronics, feel free to shoot me a wish list. We're very big on Furuno, of course, and I keep a good stock of quality used gear taken off of boats that have been upgraded. On the same note, if anyone has any questions regarding integration of onboard systems, whether it be NMEA 0183/NMEA2000/PC, feel free to ask. I love boats, and the gear I get to play with. However soon enough, I'll be able to post my own pics of what I hope to be a solid single screw that I can call "Wharf Rat."

Thanks for having me aboard.

Chris AKA GoAT.

Wharf Rat

Forum Sponsor
Website
Boat Make
OPB
Welcome aboard!

Im assuming youre a deadhead? There's a Holland out here in Montauk named Ripple.
Hey Rocket,

Good call. While I am a Dead fan, Jerry died when I was only 13, but my father was a glorified Dead Head, from the Filmore to the Filmore East, and I plan to name my first boat in honor of him. It's only right after I 'borrowed' half his Dick's Pick's collection for my 4 years at college. In fact, my first Dead concert was at 9 months old at Hershey Park in the pouring rain. It certainly explains alot about the way I turned out. :shock:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Well welcome to the club!! So here's a quick Furuno question? I have Furuno FCV 292 that is set up to run on 24 volts, i need it to run on 12volts so how big a deal is it to resolder the jumper on the inside of the machine to the correct terminals? Can it be done by a mear mortal dirtbag gillnetter/shrimp potter like myself :grin: or does it have to go behind the curtain of the great OZ at the electronics shop !!
If your thinking of relocating Anchorage is in desperate need of a good marine electronics shop !!

Capt Rich

Lieutenant
Warf rat

Welcome !
I bought a boat from Wright Island Marine a couple years back, the name of it was and still is BARBS.
Remember it?

Wharf Rat

Forum Sponsor
Website
Boat Make
OPB
Welcome !
I bought a boat from Wright Island Marine a couple years back, the name of it was and still is BARBS.
Remember it?
Of course, and I remember you too Rich. That was John Walsh's JC with the Perkins 4208. What a beast. Small world, huh? I was the short kid with glasses in the right hand side of the office, the electronics nerd. Hope all is well with ya, Rich. Good to see you on here too.

Wharf Rat

Forum Sponsor
Website
Boat Make
OPB
Well welcome to the club!! So here's a quick Furuno question? I have Furuno FCV 292 that is set up to run on 24 volts, i need it to run on 12volts so how big a deal is it to resolder the jumper on the inside of the machine to the correct terminals? Can it be done by a mear mortal dirtbag gillnetter/shrimp potter like myself :grin: or does it have to go behind the curtain of the great OZ at the electronics shop !!
If your thinking of relocating Anchorage is in desperate need of a good marine electronics shop !!
Hey Steve, I don't have the service manual in front of me, but you just need to swap and solder the leads on the PSU board from jumper P8 to P9, but let me double check before you fry anything.

Capt Rich

Lieutenant
Re : Barbs

Yep kid ,remember you well ,gave me all the Raymarine cables before I steamed off. Went through the whole boat, she's runnin' great. Might stop by for a visit this summer and pick your brain.
How did that blue 26 DUFFY work out with the yanmar?
Thought I saw it out there last summer flyin' bye.

Wharf Rat

Forum Sponsor
Website
Boat Make
OPB
Yep kid ,remember you well ,gave me all the Raymarine cables before I steamed off. Went through the whole boat, she's runnin' great. Might stop by for a visit this summer and pick your brain.
How did that blue 26 DUFFY work out with the yanmar?
Thought I saw it out there last summer flyin' bye.
Bullfrog? She's still pumpin. I found a shot of her when she came in, and found a shot after we repowered her with the new Cummins, and after we AwlGripped her, and right in the middle of putting on the hardtop. Can't find any good complete shots on my PC, will have to search. She actually got up to 27 knots on seatrial, with a 5-blade nibral wheel. Enjoy the pics.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/boatsho152.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/boatsho161.jpg/

Top Bottom