Green Crabs

seewhey

Ensign
I live in Maine, and there are so many crabs in certain areas they must be in piles on the bottom.
In the news there is talk about trying to develop something worthwhile for everyone, to encourage fishing and regain the clam populations.
The crabs like the taste of clams the best apparently and its ruining an already well managed and established fishery, more quickly in recent years..?
The town of Freeport (not where I live) has been focusing on trying to get rid of them within the past year, and looks to be attempting to drum up some type of market.
I see articles that date back ten years that talk about developing a food market and "promising outlook" and then I can find the same basic content in an article from last summer. They talk mostly about encouraging use in fancy type food and maybe getting some processed crab type things going, but no real useful information.

So, I suppose I am asking if other people have similar questions or answers or ideas about turning the green crabs into green paper.
I have heard of a small fall market for southern new england bass fishing, but when I hear numbers through the grapevine like 15 a tote, maybe it could be profitable for someone, but not me.
If we could catch enough of them, then maybe it would be worth it for an investor or existing processing facility in to make crab cakes or crab paste or something, and create a brand new profitable fishery.

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
I sell them for .05/lb this is a low price, the 15 a tote is more normal. They can go for 40
A tote when the welk guys are really hard up for bait. The low prices are when they are being sold for blackfish bait and this is typical use around here and south of here

ripta13

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1996 31 BHM
Send a a truckful to Long Island in October November. Past 2 years they didn't pot very well locally.

duxbait

Captain
I sell them for .05/lb this is a low price, the 15 a tote is more normal. They can go for 40
A tote when the welk guys are really hard up for bait. The low prices are when they are being sold for blackfish bait and this is typical use around here and south of here
Where do you sell them? Is it all tackle shops or is there one main wholesaler who then sells to shops? I have been wanting to try it out this fall and sell as tog bait but it seems like most places already have a reliable source.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
They potted fine on long Island this year, the blackfish season here is so short it would not pay to gear up and try to profit on a low dollar product with the cost of shipping. Try to sell them to fertilizer company maybe?

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I've seen certain people getting buckets of these buggers and when asked what they were going to do with they it was a simple answer: grind them up into a paste and make a soup.

Don't expect Campbell's to come out with a Green Crab Chowdah any time soon though.

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
Yes I sell ten to a tackle shop, I just sell what I do not use. They are rather hard to get rid of since they are so easy to get. If you set pots in a good spot they are brim full when you haul them. I would love to get a couple buyers but its not worth getting more pots at the price plus I am sure they wouldn't come get them.

seewhey

Ensign
haha its quite a spread on the prices..

you could say "maine crab rangoons" just like a fish sandwich which could be pollock like mc dicks, filet o fish uses hoki from new zealand.. but they dont call it a pollock patty. A generic name to make the product more appealing I think would work.

I imagine if if comes down to it maybe I will try that out with one or two truckloads in the fall. It sucks because It would be just a short time of demand and even that is questionable.
But what the hell I can make some traps and figure it out a little better before something good with them happens.

myentourage

Commander
The bait shops here sell them in new bedford mass for 50 bucks a bushel. Better off going to the fish houses who buy whelk and they will buy them for bait for their fisherman in bulk. If someone is out there selling them for 15 a tote i want to know asap cause im getting burned.

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
The bait shops here sell them in new bedford mass for 50 bucks a bushel. Better off going to the fish houses who buy whelk and they will buy them for bait for their fisherman in bulk. If someone is out there selling them for 15 a tote i want to know asap cause im getting burned.
Where are you?

Boatliftman

Lieutenant
In New Jersey the conch guys would probably buy them if they work considering the price of horseshoe crabs

tunakiller

Ensign
Where do you sell them? Is it all tackle shops or is there one main wholesaler who then sells to shops? I have been wanting to try it out this fall and sell as tog bait but it seems like most places already have a reliable source.
I gave it a shot, not really the worth the trouble. The market is so small it's a struggle to get into and with the price it's tough to make any money. The damn wholesalers really screw you, they have all the tackle shops wrapped up. If there is another bad year for green crab down south sometime it might become worthwhile for us. Good luck

Dano62

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
34' Wayne Beal
Last summer, one of my neighbors was walking down the road to his skiff to go to haul when he saw something moving in the grass across the road from the water. It was a green crab. It had made its way about sixty feet inland. Must have taken a wrong turn in the fog.

Top Bottom