Green Stick mount locking mechanisms

Regina E

Commander
Website
www.reginaesportfishing.com
Boat Make
35 Duffy #300
Almost done with set up and acquisitions but have a couple questions and a dilemma.

Due to the fact that I go under a bridge to and fro on the way outside, my green stick will obviously have to go up and down each time.

I have the mechanism for easy lifts and lowering down no issue... Just needs to be welded up- stainless trailer winch with pulleys. The mount will be a sleeve on a hinge attached to a post.

The situation is the locking mechanism to keep the stick up and in place for trolling and also for quick drops back and forth.

The stick has to tilt towards the stern due to the wing on the roof of my boat blocking the possibility of it going forward.

What does the hive recomend for the locking mechanism that would be strong enough to endure the days of trolling yet easy enough to unhook and lower the stick in an efficient manner and then winch back up?

I have some ideas but theres always a better way to do everything.

Mnay thanks in advance.

Regina E

Commander
Website
Boat Make
35 Duffy #300
The collar sounds good but how did it secure the sleeve to the tube or was it attached to the overhang?

The mount will look like this however the hinges will face aft.

My compliments to the owner of the mount pictured.

IMG_20131229_194342[1].jpg

Kaiser

Lieutenant Commander
I would consider using ball pins with lanyards. Go to McMaster.com & search ball pins. If you need something made I can help you out.

yeh, something that you can quickly engage and lock and not worry about threading a nut on for it to be safe. Forget about messing with loose nuts off the dock rocking and rolling.

gsous89

Lieutenant
mojo may be along here shortly, his old RP (Dantilu) has a pretty slick set up to lock the stick against the house. he may have some pictures.

Website
www.jbtackle.com
Boat Make
38 Northern Bay
Perhaps something along the lines of a horizontal handcuff type mechanism? With a cotter pin inserted when sleeve is in position?
Destiny used a collar mechanism and welded nuts to the mount so all he has to do is remove two bolts. Simple and with very little movement. The boat is at Point View, RI now.

greg

Captain
the new pop greenstick brochure shows a tilting base and a collar assembly that should be simple to mount as a quick drop.

Look at the support clamp, it's hinged on one side. Three bolts and its open.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Regina E

Commander
Website
Boat Make
35 Duffy #300
I'm going to have something very similar to pops mount. Its going on to be mounted to a pipe extending 8' from the deck. I have to do my best to avoid nuts and bolts due to the frequency of ups and downs while underway. That's my main reason to lean towards pins.

The whole contraption will also come off the boat for winters and spring. The only part left behind will be the base plate adjacent to the winter back.

Regina E

Commander
Website
Boat Make
35 Duffy #300
OK so off to the welder Sunday morning. I'll post pics of the product as it goes along.

The next question is does anyone use chafing gear for their main lines?

My main line is 3.5 MM. Damed if I cant find chafing gear marketed for that size line.

Sources?

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
OK so off to the welder Sunday morning. I'll post pics of the product as it goes along.

The next question is does anyone use chafing gear for their main lines?

My main line is 3.5 MM. Damed if I cant find chafing gear marketed for that size line.

Sources?

My guess is no. 900 LP is pretty tough.

tunamojo

Rear Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.wickedweasel.com
Boat Make
Holland 32

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
The collar sounds good but how did it secure the sleeve to the tube or was it attached to the overhang?

The mount will look like this however the hinges will face aft.

My compliments to the owner of the mount pictured.

That would be the top of the "Midnight Rambler" mount built by Bristol Marine.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom