Greenstick or not

jon3030

Commander
Boat Make
35' Five Islands
I am very close to pulling the trigger on a 34' greenstick and Waterman 12v bandit reel from Etheridge Fishing Supply in NC. Before I drop the money, thought I'd ask some of you who have them if they are really worth it for trolling Bluefins up here in MA. How many of you guys have caught giants trolling with your greenstick? I plan to use it primarily offshore of Gloucester, around the bank & Wildcat/Murray Basin and as far out as Cashes, Fippennies, etc.

Thanks for any input.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
What kind of boat and how high can you Mont the stick thay work good but its not ez to get set up and fishing right

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
they work. but make sure you get the proper permits before you pull the trigger.
without that you will be using it like a giant outrigger,with each clip going to a individual rod.. doesnt seem to be as fishy then

jon3030

Commander
Boat Make
35' Five Islands
The boat is a 29' SeaVee cuddy with a single diesel. As far as permits, I am commercial so I am ok there.
The stick I'm looking at buying is 34' which is high enough I think. A 40' would be too much for my boat. I was even considering the smaller 26' version but Butch at Etheridge said I wouldn't be happy with that one, not enough height to get the danglers to work right.

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
FWIW i dont really know much about the subject but ive seen a 35' everglades with a greenstick around chatham.

jon3030

Commander
Boat Make
35' Five Islands
Heck, Google "small boat greenstick" and hit images. There is a pic of a Grady White with the support frame/tube mounted in the cabin. That is where I am thinking of mounting mine, using a 3" x about 4' aluminum tube for support with 2 braces, one at the base and the other where it comes through the cabin top. I am thinking the 25' might be the way to go now though.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
I don't think you'll catch more and its going to be a ball buster to mount up save the money and stick to bars and stuf

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
The boat is a 29' SeaVee cuddy with a single diesel. As far as permits, I am commercial so I am ok there.
The stick I'm looking at buying is 34' which is high enough I think. A 40' would be too much for my boat. I was even considering the smaller 26' version but Butch at Etheridge said I wouldn't be happy with that one, not enough height to get the danglers to work right.

its not just a commercial permit.. i believe you need a longline permit now. UNLESS you fish it with tag lines or clips that go to each individual rod, like a giant outrigger.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
its not just a commercial permit.. i believe you need a longline permit now. UNLESS you fish it with tag lines or clips that go to each individual rod, like a giant outrigger.
If you read it hand gear is bandit, rod, handline, and harpoon and greenstick is considered hand gear

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Not to sound like a dick but I know a frend that's sick busted up the hole house and that's on a 35 Donnell what's it going to do to a seavee good luck but I think it be a pia to get plates on the back and get good monts for it but go for it good luck catch them up oh and on catching more I fish a the spots you said and know you can catch on trole and anchor so save the 7gs you can find a better use for the money

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Starrfish,

Reg's say you can fish a greenstick under general category as well as longline permits. Where do you get the bit about taglines or clips? Could that be the case for a HMS charter headboat permit?

greg

Captain
Greenstick with fixed droppers (up to 10 hooks) is acceptable under a CHB permit or general permit. Bandit reels to haul them in are also approved gear.

You only need release clips if you have an angling permit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom