Greenstick with Electric reel

TunaAck

Lieutenant
What are everyone's thoughts on using a greenstick with electric reel? Is it even worth it if you don't use hydraulics?

LACI GALE 31jc

Lieutenant Commander
DIRECT DRIVE ELECTRIC REEL
MOTOR CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO GEAR BOX, NO BELT SLIPPAGE! USES A MORE POWERFUL 3/4 HP MOTOR WITH LOTS OF TORQUE FOR FISHING DEEP WATER TUNA, WAHOO, AND GROUPERS! ABILITY TO ADD MORE FIBERGLASS ARMS BY SIMPLY REMOVING THE SUPPORT PLATE AND STACKING THEM ON LIKE LEAF SPRINGS GIVES FISHERMEN ADDED STRENGTH AND SECURITY WHEN FISHING FOR LARGE HEAVY FISH. USE ALSO AS A HEAVY DUTY TROLLING REEL! HOLDS 5 LBS/MONO. 3450 RPM. (OPTIONAL 1 HP MOTOR @ 1800 RPM). AMP DRAW IS 22 - NO LOAD, 70 UNDER LOAD. 12V ONLY.
DIRECT_DRIVE_MOTOR_CLOSEUP_COLOR.gif

jon3030

Commander
Boat Make
35' Five Islands
Depends on what type of tuna you are targeting. Electric should be fine for yellows and occasional bigeyes. If targeting giants then hydraulic all the way. I debated this for a while and went hydraulic which winds up costing a few grand more but I think it's going to be worth it.

GLA

Commander
new fivestar up in montauk has an electric reel on a greenstick.
I believe they fish release clips so only for pulling the bird

Bassin

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Maritime Skiff
Beautiful peice of fishing gear. Was on a boat with one for the first time and they are sweet

TunaAck

Lieutenant
any one have any experience with that direct drive electric reel? If going electric it seems like the way to go.

jim

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
48ft Dixon
I had an electric reel on my greenstick. Go with hydraulic. We blew the fuse first day out with double header giants on at the Hudson. Handlining double header giants is NO fun. Blew the fuse a few other times when loaded with yellows . IMO if you can afford it go hydraulic.

Aloop

Lieutenant Commander
DIRECT DRIVE ELECTRIC REEL
MOTOR CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO GEAR BOX, NO BELT SLIPPAGE!

Technically this is not a true direct drive if it uses a gear box to rotate the spool. Direct drive would have the spool attached to the motor and spin at 1:1.

Top Bottom