Greensticks and Bigeye.... ?????

greg

Captain
While down at the tails I was watching a couple of the comm greenstick boats. In addition to trolling much slower, I didn't see a bird at the end of their mainline. No telltale splashing or commotion.

Were they just pulling a bird with no wings or a weight or did I just miss them?

Would that be something they would do for either bet or bft?

Kahuna

Lieutenant
If the stick was deployed so was the bird you may have missed it

Fvdestiny

Commander
Website
www.destinyfishingscharters.com
Boat Make
38 northern bay green stick boat/30 Calvin beal tuna boat/20 Seacraft Master Angler
greg the bigeye by nature prefer a slower troll speed speed than most tunas with exception of bluefin which are also slow..another adjustment you might consider is to pull baits lower to water by adjusting bandit line down.. Bigeyes seem to prefer baits in more in the water than out which is why most greenstick bigeye bites come closer to the bird (last 2-3 baits) which for me hang a little lower..I have had many bigeyes come up and eat when the boat is in neutral and baits are hangings from riggers . They seem to be lazier as they come from much cooler water temp to surface to eat..They can regulate their temp to live down deep in low light conditions and surface only to feed, mostly in low light conditions..so they like things they can eat easily..

greg

Captain
Thanks guys, that puts my mind at ease. Guess I just have to put in the hours and get the boat over more fish. ;)

I was actually going to shorten the drop leaders because at 4 knots they hang lower and were trolling rather than skipping.

It's unreal the number of bigeye that are coming out of the tails recently. Hope they stick around!

Cr bound

Lieutenant
While down at the tails I was watching a couple of the comm greenstick boats. In addition to trolling much slower, I didn't see a bird at the end of their mainline. No telltale splashing or commotion.

Were they just pulling a bird with no wings or a weight or did I just miss them?

Would that be something they would do for either bet or bft?

greg the bigeye by nature prefer a slower troll speed speed than most tunas with exception of bluefin which are also slow..another adjustment you might consider is to pull baits lower to water by adjusting bandit line down.. Bigeyes seem to prefer baits in more in the water than out which is why most greenstick bigeye bites come closer to the bird (last 2-3 baits) which for me hang a little lower..I have had many bigeyes come up and eat when the boat is in neutral and baits are hangings from riggers . They seem to be lazier as they come from much cooler water temp to surface to eat..They can regulate their temp to live down deep in low light conditions and surface only to feed, mostly in low light conditions..so they like things they can eat easily..

Thanks guys, that puts my mind at ease. Guess I just have to put in the hours and get the boat over more fish. ;)

I was actually going to shorten the drop leaders because at 4 knots they hang lower and were trolling rather than skipping.

It's unreal the number of bigeye that are coming out of the tails recently. Hope they stick around!

I dont think you have to shorten your drops....just put a larger poly ball on the end of your bird to take out the slack. Try an a-2 or a-3.

All of this is true.

I have found when rod and reel fishing for big eyes with Gs boats around me they do much better of YFt's & LFt's. I will always say a GS is magic for YFT's & LFT's. I fished next to a few stick boats in the washington Canyon this july for YFT's & BET's. Rod & Reel boats crushed the commercial stick boats while fishing for BET's.

Bigeye's unlike YFT's dont like to come out of the water to bite. There will be exceptions to this but overall I do not think they like to come out of the water to strike. The main reason I see for GS's boats getting bites far back on the stick is that the baits are in the water more but rather they are far back. We have seen this in Bigeye fishing alot recently. Where most of these bites are single bites.

When you are able to get the Bigeye's to eat off the transom thats an entirety different situation. Thats where having multiple rods and cranking down the stick is very effective. Typically this where multiple bites will occur. The Rods and the stick would in theory all get bite, in this case because there are a number of big-eyes behind the boat.

Also I believe when canyon fishing with a GS. You should be trolling at least 4-6 rods. There will always be an exception to this but overall I think it is necessary. This help cover the base's when the fish are more tuned into the rods or the stick.

That being said there is one condition where I personally belief that a green stick is an advantage for big eye fishing. I have only seen this a few times. When Bigeyes become grouped up and are holding at a specific depth say 80 feet. It is my belief that the stick gives a superior bait presentation in this case. Most of the time in these situations there is lots of boat traffic. The GS's may give you a different presentation, which may help to trigger bites.

Although some individuals have told me in this situation to take the stick down and very slowly troll it at 2.5-3 knots with the main line running directly off the bandit reel. This to me would indicate that Rods would be better in this situation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom