Grover boats

bellboy

Ensign
im intrested in a 28 grover, looking for any feed back on them, box keel is new to me , lapstrake hull is also new to me. in the pictures of the vessel I'm looking at it has a soft chine. Does the lapstrake make up for no hard chine? Does a Boxed keel stabilize like a standard keel? please let me know any experience with anything I've mentioned

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
A Groverbuilt crossed the Atlantic, w/ 3 aboard, I think w/o refueling. It was a 26'. How many of us can say that. All good sea boats roll.

Mark Giegel

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Looking for DE 34 to 36
I have owned a 26 Grover. Pretty much the same hull before stretching out. They do roll more than a hard chine DE as I now own a DE. They have very low freeboard for length and can be a wet boat. They have very solid layup but most have deck issues at some point in their life. Do check the Northeast Forum for the Gover ...a good forum that I used before my purchase as well.
Good luck

Orca

Ensign
I'm new to this site, and have owned a 26' Grover for the past year. The boats them selves are great riding and pretty damn slow. The 120 is more or less bulletproof. I'm in the process of rebuilding the original 2714E Dorset. According to the prior owner, she had plus/minus 12000 hours. I bought the boat with a bad miss in the #1 cylinder. The tip of the injector broke off and became part of the piston.

The boat does have some draw backs. The boat rolls pretty good. The lapstrake doesn't do much to help that. You can't leave anything on the motor box while drifting or it will become a projectile. They also have a strange drift and are very easily influenced by the wind. RainX or a wiper is also a necessity. The windshield really takes a lot of spray. Other owners say that spray rails help, but are not life changing. Also, from what I hear, the 28's are faster than the 26's with the same power.

I personally like the boat big time! She gets looks just about everywhere I go, and trips to the fuel dock are few and far between. Her above deck fuel tanks are easy to service, and there's just enough room to lay down in the cabin.

Good luck with your decision. The site listed in one of the prior replies has a thread with over 300 pages on Grovers.

Top Bottom