Gulf of Maine Cod

novivin

Captain
Hi Guys,

Just curious...

Anyone have any opinion on the cod fishing that happened or did not happen this Spring? I am curious if anyone really hit it good on anything bigger than 19 inchers. I had a hard time finding numbers and any size... am I a terrible fisherman or did everyone experience a tough spring cod fishery.

I typically fish MA Bay, Stellwagen and around Gloucester- all the way to Race Point when the bite is better (has been pretty good there past 4-5 years for a few weeks each spring!).

Cool, enjoy summer and your boats - tight lines!

PS- Heard that that little sliver off the Whaleback closure was hot for those NH N. MA and S. Maine Guys.

novivin

Captain
21 views and no replies... well I guess that may be a partial answer.

Please pipe up with the good news that I missed them.

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
GOM Cod

Well,

Here is the story and my opinion on the GOM cod fish situation. I own and run the charter boat Relentless www.relentlesscharters.com and have a few captains including Whale Tale who is out fishing today on a cod and haddock charter. We attended over five meetings concernig catch limits and recreational measures on the cod situation including addressing the Recreational Advisory Panel at their last meeting which the Chairman of the NEFMC attended.

You are correct last spring was great but since the catch share system went into effect and the larger draggers (not day boats) leased tons of quota from day boats they pounded the bank 24/7. They do not have a daily catch limit of 800 LBS like was previously in place with the DAS (days at sea) system and now stay until they land tens of thousands of lbs fishing inshore going back and fourth with twenty others.

We struggled early in the season and later was limiting outjust about daily with fish in the 22" range. This problem will not go away as long as these huge draggers continue to be allowed to fish the inshore waters. The only way improvements to the system which will help both day boats and charter/recreational fisherman is if anglers write and attend meetings.

Don't be disapointed, as long as you move around work hard and be patient, you can still put good numbers of groundfish in the box.

Respectfully,

Dave

Latest Posts

Top Bottom