Gunnel Rod Holders

Goodbye

Captain
Gents,
My 40' YB was set up for anchor / drift fishing so the current gunnel rod holders are not set up well for trolling, which I do often. I may be able to reposition some within the existing holes, but others I may need to remove, repair the gunnel and reinstall. I may end up having to redrill back through a portion of a repaired section. Any advice on materials, methods, etc? Current gunnels are glass over wood. Thanks in advance.
Bill

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
To get your angles right, drill the correct angle with a hole saw into a board first. Use that and a long bit in the hole saw to guide your entry in the washboard.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Here is another trick that works well:

#1 remove the old holders
#2 Pack the old holes with H&D putty. Tape the bottom good so the putty stays in place.
#3 Because you will on be changing the angles a little most of the H&D well be removed on the re-drilling
#4 Get a short piece of PCV pipe with an inside diameter large enough to allow the hole saw you are using to fit through & cut the pipe on a chop saw with the angle of the new rod holder
#5 Center the PCV pipe over the center of the old rod holder
#6 Drop the hold saw into the PVC pipe to get the correct angle.
#7 Once the long bite of the drill in the hold saw cuts into the putty remove the PCV. You now have the angle correct.
#8 Drill the new hole & you are done.

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
Had always done it like Petrel, but Larry .. you hit it out of the park!

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
For trolling I like all 45 degree holders two in each gunnel & three across the back. I like a center rocket launcher for the outrigger lines. With this system you can troll 9 poles & no tangles.

March photo 06 181.jpg

Picture 119.jpg

Picture 4907.jpg

Goodbye

Captain
Rod Holders

Thanks to all for the input. Nice setup Larry, very similar to my intended layout. One question - if I use the HD putty and don't end up putting a rod holder back on that footprint will the putty have enough integrity by itself? Someone may walk on that spot, drop something, etc. Thanks again.
Bill

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Brainey,Rod holders are made in straight,15 and 30 degree...if you ask for a 45 they will hand you something that fits in a rod holder and lays the rod out for trolling like wire line....reliable gaff company called the outrodders....no one makes a 45 degree gunnel mount rod holder

Beyond Tom's

Captain
Boat Make
31 JC
Beyond Tom's

You could pick up a protractor that you would use if bending conduit. I would use a longer bit to set the center. Place the protractor on the hole saw to get the correct angle. Then start drilling so that the bottom of the holesaw is set in the wood. Now u can drill through. U can always clean out the hole with a dremmel if the angle is slightly off.The sandpaper grinding wheel works great. I had a lot of core rot around the holders. Cleaned it out and used chopped Matt to fill . Then grinded clean with the dremmel. I used 0 degree for the transome corners and 15 degree for the rest. All swivel holders by CJ marine. Cheaper than lees and better quality. 4 bolts instead of 3 and completely welded around. I also used backing plates. :shock:

image.jpg

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Thanks to all for the input. Nice setup Larry, very similar to my intended layout. One question - if I use the HD putty and don't end up putting a rod holder back on that footprint will the putty have enough integrity by itself? Someone may walk on that spot, drop something, etc. Thanks again.
Bill
I would say no. You would need to step the fiberglass around each hole and lay in new glass top & bottom with a layer of H&D putty in between.

Beyond Tom's

Captain
Boat Make
31 JC
I have the lees pole holders I took out if you or anyone else want them. Sold a few think I have 6 left. They aren't swivel but just figured I'd mention it. I'm going to take some pictures this week of the pole holders, a avon 6 person raft, a 18 inch by 6 inch muffler, and a toilet. I'll post everything in the gear for sale section.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
Run a few test holes on a piece of scrap to get used to the right angle and where the pilot hole needs to be placed. You get it close enough and a cabinet rasp will fine tune it.
You have to be confident before drilling.
Be sure to properly seal plywood with epoxy, or Decore and fill balsa

Latest Posts

Top Bottom