Guru's need advice on a Center console to doghouse conversion

Hooper

Captain
Guys, I would like to add some protection to my Novi skiff. Below is my skiff in the top photo.

I would like to add to the existing center console and end up with something similar to what is pictured in the second and third photos.

I have zero experience working with fiberglass and West System epoxies. But I have done some research online and have a basic understanding of the processes.

What do you think would be the easiest way to get what I want from what I have, short of hiring someone to do it for me?

Could I take 3/8" marine plywood, cut it to the demensions I want, 5200 the pieces together, West Sysytem them with epoxy and roll on gel coat? Cut in a few windows and be good to go?

Novi.jpg

Boat7.jpg

IMG00284-20110604-1050.jpg

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Hooper

Captain
Yes, but....

Don't 5200 them together, use the epoxy with your choice of filler.

and

You can't roll gelcoat over epoxy (not compatible), you have to paint.

Other than that, go for it.

There is a build thread for that Seacraft on the bottom.

Ok, so cut the pieces to shape, epoxy them individually (?), then epoxy them together? Do I need to use fiberglass mat or can I simply roll West System onto plywood and paint?

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Polyester resin would fit the bill and your budget better I believe.

Doesn't even have to be marine plywood, you're going to encapsulate it anyways. Luan is my preference, you know absolutely what you'll find on the inside. Some sheet rock screws and some 2x4 stock ripped down the middle and cut on 45's would be great for your inside corner pieces to hold everything together, easier to glass too.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Just buy one pacific pilot house. Its worth it on saving on frustrations. Ply is heavy if your hell bent on you doing this use high dens foam and epoxy. U don't have to use west jgreer has it cheap and good quality.

Hooper

Captain
The second picture is one of the earliest maritime skiff consoles. They then adapted into what I have.

Nice boat Tuna, I have actually talked with Maritime Skiffs in the past, wanted to buy one of their houses for my SeaCraft, no dice they said they wouldn't sell to me. Wish they would, they are nice looking.

I know there is Pacific Pilothouse and the Baysails Marine in Wellfleet has houses but they are both pretty pricey.

Tunascapes

Commander
Buying is definitely easier but also pricey for pretty much every option.

That's strange they wouldn't sell to you. I worked for them back through high school and college so I did the deal on the inside. Production was always an issue for parts. You may have just hit them at a back log.

Tunascapes

Commander
Tunascapes...what hull is that? It is beautiful!

Thanks. It's a 26 seaway my dad bought it new in 84. It had been setup with a side house, almost identical to the one forsale on Nantucket right now, when he was lobstering out of it. We changed the setup to its current maybe 6-8 years ago. It serves us very well for an inside 40 mile boat.

Back to the original question. My one suggestion if you do build your own is to make sure you have substantial gussets supporting the roof over hang. We really should have stainless supports from the lp to the roof, but have been very careful with how much weight is towards the back.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
You guys give good advice. Here's the console I am building for my console (work in process) it'll have the forward bench seat and instrument panel.

Only thing is once you go to the doghouse bit you've really made it much more difficult. It seems everyone who tries to make a doghouse makes something that's just awful to look at. What @tunascapes has is awesome but it was molded gelcoat, same for the other Leblanc with the doghouse you posted.

Here's a slideshow if you want to see what everybody's describing.

https://picasaweb.google.com/kevinrmaher/Console#

And yes I am aware its only half glassed we heated up the epoxy too much and it kicked on me since it was almost 80 degrees before I even mixed it.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
Everythings 105/205, 406 for fillets, 407 for filler, with two layers of glass and one layer of tape at the edges. She's going to need a shit-ton of 407 but'll be done soon hopefully.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Fvdestiny

Commander
Website
www.destinyfishingscharters.com
Boat Make
38 northern bay green stick boat/30 Calvin beal tuna boat/20 Seacraft Master Angler
my friend and I built this one for my 20 ft seacraft ,,rugged as hell .I would agree on the roof gussets ,but I don't use the roof for anything but shelter.it weighs about 30 pounds with windows..

IMG_0319.jpg

Top Bottom