Haddock teasers

Discussion in 'Striper, Blues, Cod, Haddock, Hake, Sharks' started by stripersnax, Feb 21, 2019.

1. stripersnax

stripersnax Member

Garbologist
    Boat Make:
    1973 Seacraft
    I am getting ready to try some haddock fishing on Stellwagon Bank this year and was wonder what color and hook size teasers work good on the bank.
    Thanks

2. Beamie

Beamie Senior Member

If your going in April when the haddock are up on the bank in 90' of water and thick you don't need much. Even a bare shinny hook will work.

When I make my bait rigs I like to use the 6/0 eagle claw bait hooks. These have 2 barbs on the shank to hold bait better. Some use clams. But if the macs are around get 30 macks, fillet, and make mackerel strips for bait. 2 hook rigs, bank weight a/r for drift. I put some tubing on my bait rig on the dropper loop, flo red, green yellow, orange etc. I use mono left over from an old reel, 60-80 #

30-06guy and CEShawn like this.
  3. SemperFishBoston

SemperFishBoston Senior Member

Fireman
    Boat Make:
    AJ26 Duffy
    I use green or orange teasers on hi lo rigs for bait. 6/o hook size as beamie said. Pretty standard setup for haddock.

4. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

I agree with what both of these guys have said. One thing is if the fish are very finicky and just nibbling and not taking the bait well, I will drop down to a nice sharp 4/0 hook. Just put a little bait on the very tip. Just enough to cover the point and barb. The fish prety much hook themselves when they suck in that little piece of bait. As for teasers I have had good luck with pink as well as orange and green.

Good luck . It won't be long before the season gets underway .

Rob

Joshbel02 likes this.
  5. stripersnax

stripersnax Member

Garbologist
    Boat Make:
    1973 Seacraft
    Beamie I thought the haddock where deeper around 200 ft of water. so I stay on top of the bank not off the bank? Good to know. Sounds like the same type of rig we use for sea bass in the sound. No need for floro?
    Thanks. See you on the Bank.

6. plowin

plowin Captain

Firefighter/Half Assed Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    I love the internet.

Stickman, Joshbel02 and Jailbreak like this.
  7. Beamie

Beamie Senior Member

Do yourself a favor. Plan your trip early in the the year, say before June. That is when haddock are still on top of the bank. As the summer heats up they will move into 260 or so. Last year they actually moved back up on the bank late summer.

Go fishing in mid May, you will see the boats...............

8. Shadman78

Shadman78 Member

Anything bubble gum color works the best up on the bank. Simple rigs are the best.

9. Haddock

Haddock Senior Member

Engineering Manager - Automotive Lighting
    Boat Make:
    23' Maritime Marine Voyageur
    Bubble gum shrimp have always been my go to for haddock teasers with 6-0 circle hooks with minimal clam bait on the drop. I use green and yellow tubes on the bait hooks from Seawolfe tackle; last couple of years have yielded the biggest haddock that I have seen in years.

10. Tunatown

Tunatown Captain

Lineman
    Boat Make:
    36 H&H CAT 3126B 420hp
    A good place to get tackle cheep for bass and bottom fishing and shark gear is catch all tackle they have all the tubing hooks swivels line leader glow beads cool stuff to mess around with the 3 inch squid teasers work good also glow tubing works awesome I buy tubing from them and use stainless hooks to make my own mackerel rigs hold up all season