Haddock

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
I just sent the same message to my buddy. Fucking impossible for you guys to make a real living at this these days. For such a great country I wouldn't give you a pail of piss for our government, they just don,t care about the working man anymore.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
with all the cuts and leasing fish its hard to go we put 3500gallons of fuel on today and that's olny a 7 day trip of fuel to lease cod your at 1.50 a pound round haddock is about the same so hard to make a money no Canada is driving are price down with all there cheep over flow its just more fucking we get

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
well you see it whats there 10 day boats and 10 trip boats left fishing ground fish wtf sad and you see what its doing here is hurting the hole town and there is no sings of stop I know the black boat from nbp just got a stop fishing order he has 8 permits and not making it now the gov is giving up $75m and all the birds are out pecking

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I just sent the same message to my buddy. Fucking impossible for you guys to make a real living at this these days. For such a great country I wouldn't give you a pail of piss for our government, they just don,t care about the working man anymore.

It started in the 60s

Don't be the last sucka on the block who works for a living.

Imagine if those of us that actually work stopped:eek: how would people eat? Those Brazilians would jack up the price of our food and we'd all loose weight cause we couldn't afford the super market:lol: In the last 5 years, food has gone up 75%.,,, according to farming all your own food in a 4'x4' !

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
with all the cuts and leasing fish its hard to go we put 3500gallons of fuel on today and that's olny a 7 day trip of fuel to lease cod your at 1.50 a pound round haddock is about the same so hard to make a money no Canada is driving are price down with all there cheep over flow its just more fucking we get

Is USA quota anything like Canada quota? sounded like they get to catch a lot.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
well you see it whats there 10 day boats and 10 trip boats left fishing ground fish wtf sad and you see what its doing here is hurting the hole town and there is no sings of stop I know the black boat from nbp just got a stop fishing order he has 8 permits and not making it now the gov is giving up $75m and all the birds are out pecking

One of the best boats around here hung it up. Good fisherman and real smart guy just can't pull rabbits out of a hat anymore. Another top notch operation gone!

robbie

Commander
Holy crap!! not being anything to do with commercial fishing it hadn't occurred to me that this really isn't good news to you guys..should have kept my mouth shut!! sorry.

Toro

Commander
Boat Make
19 Pointer
Newfoundland Robbie thanks for pasting that link here.

What our commercial fishermen have been telling us for years, how the fed has shut them down, is being seen across many, many other sectors. The result is a level of frustration down here that is widespread beyond commercial fishing.

If the Haddock Biomass grew grew 10x on the east side of the gulf, it had to have had on our side. (did anyone else here know that? :"...The biomass has grown from a low of 10,300 metric tons in 1993 to 183,300 metric tons at the beginning of 2013..." CBC 1/23/14)

So if thats the case, why hasn't our quota adjusted? Sorry if I'm ignorant but I don't think it has.
We can't blame Canada for letting their guys go get it, or am I wrong? The problem seems to be lack of a comprehensive plan on our part to keeping our fleet fishing, the same way we keep our shipbuilders building, our farmers farming, and so on, when times are tough.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
When quotas get raised prices drop anyway. The real problem is the fish buyers are the ones getting rich.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
One of the best boats around here hung it up. Good fisherman and real smart guy just can't pull rabbits out of a hat anymore. Another top notch operation gone!

That's just NMFS meeting their goals. Get rid of everyone and subsidize a few big rigs to go fish for them. Just a crime. That's what pisses me off so much, you read these recreational sites and they are constantly blaming the dragggers, the commercial guys etc. What draggers?? There are none left. Just by me, in Freeport there used to be 10 small day boats. Now there are 2 and they only go fluking in the summer. I bet there is less than 10% of the draggers now then there were 10-15 years ago. Same thing with every other fishery. Lobster prices are shit too, yet at Christmas they were selling for 11-13/lb. What did the boats get for those? 3? Just a joke. Now you have a country full of part time fisherman, you need a real job to survive and afford health care. Like the guy above, from Maine. Eventually, you realize, it's just not smart to keep trying. Most guys are one breakdown away from bankrupt.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Newfoundland Robbie thanks for pasting that link here.

What our commercial fishermen have been telling us for years, how the fed has shut them down, is being seen across many, many other sectors. The result is a level of frustration down here that is widespread beyond commercial fishing.

If the Haddock Biomass grew grew 10x on the east side of the gulf, it had to have had on our side. (did anyone else here know that? :"...The biomass has grown from a low of 10,300 metric tons in 1993 to 183,300 metric tons at the beginning of 2013..." CBC 1/23/14)

So if thats the case, why hasn't our quota adjusted? Sorry if I'm ignorant but I don't think it has.
We can't blame Canada for letting their guys go get it, or am I wrong? The problem seems to be lack of a comprehensive plan on our part to keeping our fleet fishing, the same way we keep our shipbuilders building, our farmers farming, and so on, when times are tough.
Definitely can't blame the fisherman for fishing. The blame lies with the government. The Canadian guys have had it real tough for a long time. I for one am happy they have something to work on. They have been shut out of cod for a long time.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Last year the boat i fish on put 26000 on in 2 sets that was in march this year are haddock qwoter is 3000 for the year in the gom we have 1800 left and thats not shit its sad yeah we have gorges bank haddock to but when there in shore here there not out there its so bad most guys wont make it the season let alone for a few years

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Last year the boat i fish on put 26000 on in 2 sets that was in march this year are haddock qwoter is 3000 for the year in the gom we have 1800 left and thats not shit its sad yeah we have gorges bank haddock to but when there in shore here there not out there its so bad most guys wont make it the season let alone for a few years

And fish were worth big money this winter too. That's the killer. The money is there to be made, but the lovely quota system and buying it kills the bottom line. Hate to say it , but you guys are screwed.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Glen we really are just waiting on may 1 for are new year to start. There is only 12 or so boats out of here sad

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
So sad. I am out of there for 8 years, and 8 years ago there was a lot of boats fishing. For Christ sake, Cape Pond Ice went out of business. That sums it up right there.

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom