Handgear a

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Any publications for may 1st on this yet? Heard its being cut to 200 or so? I haven't seen anything posted.

nick4634

Lieutenant
Alright so I have a 31 ft boat and want to go catch cod and haddock for the day with a few tub trawls, what permit do I need and what are the limits. Hand gear b? and is that limited to 25 or 75 lbs? what are limits on haddock? I'm just looking for something to do when I'm not lobstering. Maybe I should just go with a state permit. and fish inside 3 miles

greg

Captain
Kind of surprised nobody answered this, but I'll give it a shot (though NOT an expert).

First, there are two distinct management regions. The "Gulf of Main" (GOM) and Georges Bank (GB - essentially everything south of the GOM). There is a specific north/south demark line.

How much you can keep under any permit depends on where you fish.

For Handgear B, ehich is the only open access permit you can get, the new limits are 25 pounds in the GOM and 75 everywhere else. Hangear B will let you keep hadock, pollack, etc up to the limit for a das permit I believe. You are only really limited on Cod.

For either a DAS or a HA permit, you need to buy one from somebody who already has one. I "think" these permits are subject to size and HP restrictions. So forr example, if you find one on a 28 foot boat, you can't transfer it to your boat because it would be more than a 10% increase. Same for HP.

Short story; Cod is out as anything more than bycatch this season. Even at 75 pounds, it isn't worth a trip to target just cod because you will burn more fuel than you will get selling them. If you are targeting pollack or haddock, grab 3 or 4 cod and bring them in.

Hopefully somebody will correct me.

Btw, these are all Northeast multi-species permits. You can get details at noaa's nero web site.

Last edited:

nick4634

Lieutenant
Kind of surprised nobody answered this, but I'll give it a shot (though NOT an expert).

First, there are two distinct management regions. The "Gulf of Main" (GOM) and Georges Bank (GB - essentially everything south of the GOM). There is a specific north/south demark line.

How much you can keep under any permit depends on where you fish.

For Handgear B, ehich is the only open access permit you can get, the new limits are 25 pounds in the GOM and 75 everywhere else. Hangear B will let you keep hadock, pollack, etc up to the limit for a das permit I believe. You are only really limited on Cod.

For either a DAS or a HA permit, you need to buy one from somebody who already has one. I "think" these permits are subject to size and HP restrictions. So forr example, if you find one on a 28 foot boat, you can't transfer it to your boat because it would be more than a 10% increase. Same for HP.

Short story; Cod is out as anything more than bycatch this season. Even at 75 pounds, it isn't worth a trip to target just cod because you will burn more fuel than you will get selling them. If you are targeting pollack or haddock, grab 3 or 4 cod and bring them in.

Hopefully somebody will correct me.

Btw, these are all Northeast multi-species permits. You can get details at noaa's nero web site.

Alright thanks for filling me in. I guess if I can get 100 lbs of haddock and 25 of cod it worth going for the day.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Top Bottom