Handheld VHFs

Scotth

Lieutenant Commander
Any opinions on handheld VHF brands? Just get a good deal on one of the majors? Standard, Icom? Anyone to stay away from?

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
The Icom ic-m88 you have to wait after you key the mic before you start talking. It's just annoying as it doesnt transmit the first words if you don't. I'd steer clear of it. Standard is better IMO.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I have both Icom and Standard radios and have been happy with them. I would definitely recommend getting one with a GPS built into it for DSC function and back up positioning.

Scotth

Lieutenant Commander
Cool, I was just looking at the GPS functionality, seems worthwhile. We bought two fixed mount AIS VHFs from Standard, so maybe I will go that way for the handheld as well.

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
I just used my standard horizon last night to talk to a boat that was almost five miles off and it was loud and clear. 5.5 watts, water resistant and reliable. Most of the time it lives in my bailout bag.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I need to buy a new one, just ran into a pilot onboard a ship that had one, forget which I think it was Standard Horizon, it has the GPS but also has a very bright LED light on it. I think it would be perfect for the ditch bag...

Top Bottom