Hanging gillnets ??

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
So the guys that hang their own gear, what ratio do you use for lets say dogfish gear vs monk gear ??? Tarred hanging twine or just white bonded ?? lets get technical what knot do you use ?? Its pouring rain out and blowing 40 here so i'm a bit bored:rolleyes:

pugsley

Captain
Personally i like the tarred twine, i use a 12 or 15 on dog nets, most guys here use heavier, but that's mostly because they don't know how to hang correctly. I think i picked up three meshes 5.5" on an eight and a half in tie. i tie three hitches, two back, and the last one going forward on the back of the first two. DON'T FORGET YOUR WHALE BREAKS.

not saying i'm right, just the way i do it.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Personally i like the tarred twine, i use a 12 or 15 on dog nets, most guys here use heavier, but that's mostly because they don't know how to hang correctly. I think i picked up three meshes 5.5" on an eight and a half in tie. i tie three hitches, two back, and the last one going forward on the back of the first two. DON'T FORGET YOUR WHALE BREAKS.

not saying i'm right, just the way i do it.

I think you guys use a twisted twine for hanging ? we use a braided twine here for salmon nets, i always used 15 or 18 and never could find any tarred so just use the white or gold color twine.
So your hanging the gear what we call "even" here, aprox 50% or 24" stretched mesh to 12" corkline, your at 16 1/2"(3 meshes) divided by 2 = 8 1/4" ties so actually your hanging "out" a 1/4". I always hung my salmon gear out up to 1 inch makes it much easier/faster to pick fish out of. I hang all my gear on a hanging bench so all i used was a clove hitch and i soaked the needles of twine in hot water to pre shrink the twine and it stretches more when wet so the knots pulled up extra tight.
OK NOW TELL ME ABOUT THE WHALE BREAKS ??? I'm thinking they are some sort of break aways?? are they used where you tie your shackles/shots/sections of net together ??? Are they in only the corkline or both cork & lead lines ???

pugsley

Captain
i think most guys stretch their net out a little further than i do.

the whale breaks have to be every 60 yards i think, you can buy the plastic ones, but they tend to break a little too easy, you can put an overhand knot in a piece of 5/16 rope and that counts as one. they have to be on the cork line only, not the lead line, also they have to be where your bridle connects to your corkline, and right under your buoy.

monktails

Lieutenant
5 break aways a panel (300 ft). 2 at each end or bridle and one in the middle. All on the float line.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Thanks guys guess i've got to brush up on the regs ??? Monk so do you use a overhand knot or use the breakaways that have to be bought ??

monktails

Lieutenant
splice in smaller piece of line with overhand knot. Cant remeber off the top of my head the exact breaking strength.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
So what does a brand new dogfish net sell for ? Monk net ? skate net ? Are monk and skate nets the same ??

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
400-500. Monk nets become the skate nets after a few seasons of fishing.

Thanks MT i should of been more specfic so is that price for a 50 fathom shot/section or whatever you guys call them ?? In NJ we used to call them shots in AK its called a shackle.

Top Bottom