Harpoon darts

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
Dyneema/spectra or vectran what ever I can find on sale. I tie a loop through the dart so I can untie it and pull the rope out. Granted I don't get to stick many fish.

Toro

Commander
Boat Make
19 Pointer
for us its just parachute cord with a bowline. i guess it works ok for us since we don't catch too many anyway.

toro2.jpg

Mvywheels

Commander
Boat Make
RI Marine
My family all use this rig and alpine clip it to a para cord type main line, not sure what type of line it is but it works great. We all steer away from the cable stuff cause the cable tends to tear a bigger hole and darts pull more often then not on swords and tuna.

image.jpg

madangler

Lieutenant
I only deal with swords down here in Florida, but we use 450 pound ashaway tuna braid tied directly to the dart with a bowline. Minimal tearing of the flesh compared to a cable dart. Also like Mvywheels said there is less chance of pulling a dart.

tunakahuna

Ensign
this may sound like a dumb question but why use dyneema when ya can use 1/4' rope. for the tag line to dart and main dart line. for rod n reel fishing?

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
I like vectran more since it doesn't get shredded if I go sharking. It's the same construction as the spectra. The vectran lets me stay away from cable and I only have my couple darts all the same. For just tuna 1/4" nylon is
Just fine I would think since lots of guys are doing that.

Mvywheels

Commander
Boat Make
RI Marine
Not a dumb question at all, some ppl I would assume use it since it's super strong and to save space maybe? Not sure I just do it the old school way with nylon type it's worked for years and years. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Top Bottom