Harpooners— how’d you get your first toss?

Hooper

Captain
Frank,

John was flying for Bill and when the harpoon quota filled up he ran my brother in laws 31 JC Petro followed by the 36 BHM Supplement. John and Bill put a lot of fish on the deck of those two boats for sure.

View attachment 102686

Dave, I remember the Petro well. I was working on a charter boat in Saquatucket in the 80’s and I’d see him headed home every day. As a kid I always wondered what lay over the horizon where he had spent the day.

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
Dave, I remember the Petro well. I was working on a charter boat in Saquatucket in the 80’s and I’d see him headed home every day. As a kid I always wondered what lay over the horizon where he had spent the day.
Billy really knew how to kill these fish. He is a real pro.

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
Which charter boat?

Snake8

Commander
I know some people will look at me funny, but I don't put too much stock in science. At one time, all of the best scientists in the world KNEW the world was flat and we were the center of the universe. 30 years ago there were two seperate populations of fish. Today we think there are one. What woll we "discover" in the next 20 years?

Obviously there have been tremendous improvements in medicine that have contributed greatly to our current quality of life. And yet there are a whole host of ailments where your outcome has no substantial difference with/without the best treatments in the world. I believe that science fills the basic human need to explain the things we see around us. While that is a wondrous and worthy pursuit, I am not kidding myself by believing that we have this whole deal figured.
Looking at you funny. Do you drive a car? Have an engine in your boat? Without science you dont have those things along with most of the clothes you wear, gear you use for oystering etc.

Having said that, I think the issue is that people treat science like religion when it's not. Science doesn't tell us the truth, it seeks truth. Saying we were wrong about the sun and earth only validates the scientific method, not as you posit invalidates it. Do we have it correct now? It would seem so, but the beauty of science is that if new evidence comes along we have to account for it. Still, we have every right in the world to be skeptical of a scientific conclusion - and this applies especially IMO in ocean science. No one can count the fish accurately scientists nor fishermen. Thats why we should not be worrying about counting fish but seeking abundance and spending those fish counting tax dollars on developing markets.

I dont want to derail this thread cause its a good one. There are some good scientists out there like Molly. Its really a shame that because her science was not what some people wanted to hear she essentially got defunded. Thats the real bullshit right there. Turned out she was right all along but she basically lost a mainstream science career over it. I wrack my brain endlessly trying to think of ways to bridge this divide and restore our fisheries to abundance while allowing fishermen to fish. I think the answer is to develop markets and get higher ex-vessel prices. BFT are almost a perfect example of how a fishery can be improved by this approach.

Im curious for those of you who actually do this on the regular, do you practice before the season and how do you do that? I used to work on a research vessel where we stuck marine mammals with tags and we always practiced on tuna balls, but our quarry surfaced so we didnt have to account for refraction.

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
Looking at you funny. Do you drive a car? Have an engine in your boat? Without science you dont have those things along with most of the clothes you wear, gear you use for oystering etc.

Having said that, I think the issue is that people treat science like religion when it's not. Science doesn't tell us the truth, it seeks truth. Saying we were wrong about the sun and earth only validates the scientific method, not as you posit invalidates it. Do we have it correct now? It would seem so, but the beauty of science is that if new evidence comes along we have to account for it. Still, we have every right in the world to be skeptical of a scientific conclusion - and this applies especially IMO in ocean science. No one can count the fish accurately scientists nor fishermen. Thats why we should not be worrying about counting fish but seeking abundance and spending those fish counting tax dollars on developing markets.

I dont want to derail this thread cause its a good one. There are some good scientists out there like Molly. Its really a shame that because her science was not what some people wanted to hear she essentially got defunded. Thats the real bullshit right there. Turned out she was right all along but she basically lost a mainstream science career over it. I wrack my brain endlessly trying to think of ways to bridge this divide and restore our fisheries to abundance while allowing fishermen to fish. I think the answer is to develop markets and get higher ex-vessel prices. BFT are almost a perfect example of how a fishery can be improved by this approach.

Im curious for those of you who actually do this on the regular, do you practice before the season and how do you do that? I used to work on a research vessel where we stuck marine mammals with tags and we always practiced on tuna balls, but our quarry surfaced so we didnt have to account for refraction.
I hear you, dont mean to sound hypocritical. I know that science has contributed greatly to our lives, I just get frustrated when people feel like the truth we KNOW now is irrefutable. You said what I was trying to say much better than I.

And yeah, I know I sound crazy as I type this with my mask on.

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
Shanti, Bob Lassen, navy blue JC31. I was his mate 87, 88 and 89.

He was like a grandfather to me. Just a wonderful kind man. I miss him very much.
I knew bob from being at the harbor. I knew the boat. Saw it everyday. There were many excellent guys in that harbor that are no longer with us. So sad. Some of those guys were very kind to me growing up. They taught me a lot of stuff. I have always said I will never be that guy who does not help someone because those guys were very helpful to me. I always looked up to them. Some of those guys are still around and they fish less and less every year.

Dyer29HoldFast

Lieutenant Commander
My Son just turned 7, much too young for the long days offshore, but it will be fun taking him for the first time.
Take him, he'll love it!! (Once getting over seasickness) I went Squiding with my dad in the winter time at the age of 7 and 9. It'll be something both you won't forget and be proud of it the future!!!
I've never harpooned anything. I need to pop my BFT/YFT cherry. Sportfish wise, I've only caught mahi-mahi (I call em dolphin) and albacore tuna and that was on the way up from delmarva to New Bedford
Screenshot_20210221-153151_Instagram.jpg

Dyer29HoldFast

Lieutenant Commander
I want to get my first poon-n-tuna(sounds like a corny boat name) Anybody have an open spot once the weather warms up??

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
I take him out in the center console, pull a few lobster traps. Once he is old enough to qualify for the student commercial license, If it still exists in a few years, I want to get that for him.
My daughter got her student license last year. She paid for all her own gear and bought herself a kayak that she wanted. Some of my proudest moments to date...

Dyer29HoldFast

Lieutenant Commander
Tough to get a ride on one I would bet.
Most Definitely. Not looking for a full/part-time site or even pay. Just want the experience. I've participated in a lot of various fisheries and would love to cross, Tuna- By Harpoon, off the list.

1rider

Lieutenant Commander
One of the other things I have often wondered, since it is a sight fishery how often do you get to select or pick the fish you are going to hit?

harpoon83

Commander
First Name
Colin
Every time you throw you get to pick what you are aiming at. You communicate with the wheelman which fish you want to get behind. You each have a different view of what is going on, its team work 100%.

Normally the wheelman will be able to see the fish in the water first, while the guy on the pulpit will only see the wake on the water. Once you get closer the striker will then pick up the fish underwater and have a good view.

The wake that you can see on the surface is where the fish has already been. As in, the fish is up further ahead of the wake. Unless they have their back out of water pushing whitewater.

If they are in a straight line side-by-side, you can have more of a choice of what fish you want to run on to throw at. If they are in a V, you would want to go for a fish on the outside, so you don't spook with bunch trying to go past the fish on the outside.

Othertimes, the fish aren't swimming with any direction. They just mill around in huge bunches feasting on bait. These bunches are frustrating for me, fish everywhere but very difficult to hit because there is not pattern of behavior. Just fish darting around, by the time you react you are too late.

1rider

Lieutenant Commander
I have only seen photos of them in the straight line or v, it’s got to feel so cool to sneak up behind like that. I can see how the teamwork and each other’s thought process would need to be 100% in sync to be successful.

Rob25GM

Lieutenant
First Name
Rob
Growing up I would go out Tuna wishing on cape cod bay on my grandfathers boat. As a child that didn’t go up in the tower much they were just long boat rides. As I got older i learned how to see fish and drive the boat.
Then as a teenager my father bought his own harpoon boat. Eventually I old enough to go with only someone who knew how to drive and trusted to hit the shocker button.
After years of practicing throwing a harpoon at the harbor it was finally my turn. First throw missed then missed then missed again maybe a couple more misses. All groups of 3-10 75-85” fish. Sun setting I finally relaxed and waited to get over the fish. Drilled one and finally my childhood dream was fulfilled.
Kind of rambling now but pretty much I owe it all to my father. Spending long days in tower with him looking for fish will always be the greatest days of my life. I love rod and reel fishing but the feeling of harpooning a fish is something that just can’t explained.

c1steve

Captain
Yeah i know Ralph has some. I have been trying to wrack my brain thinking of the guys name from up here. He has a shitload of them. Geez i even know what his plane looks like . It's really horrible what i can't remember.
A friend of mine, 62 yo, was having memory problems plus some balance problems. MRI showed arterial oclusion in the frontal lobe of the brain. I did some research and bought some Natto Kinase, which is a plaque eating enzyme. Two months later, he is better. At six months he is back to his witty self and NO problems.

Only issue is that 75% of the Natto Kinase on the market is from China and has no therapeutic value. I bought Natto Serrazine direct from the manufacturer, Designs for Health.

Top Bottom