Harris Cuttyhunk 22' advice

seahaven

Commander
Boat Make
1984 Sisu 22
I'm thinking of going to look at a Harris Cuttyhunk 22. I've looked through all of the posts on here, and have searched the web. I'm not finding a lot about the pros and cons of this boat. My understanding is that it has a pretty narrow beam and a soft chine- do they roll like crazy at anchor? I had a soft chine 23' lobster boat with a heavy keel, and that rolled a lot- I'm wondering if this would be considerably worse without the keel. I don't mind...but my wife, (who I once took out lobstering on that boat), doesn't like the rolling action. Beyond that, how is the Harris 22 underway? I'd be interested in any first hand experiences.

Thanks.

Ragtacker

Lieutenant
Mike,

I loved mine, had some great times with her.

BUT! they suck at anchor, they are wet, always wet. Rollin and a Rockin.

Good points, you never have to slow down, no matter the conditions. I had mine out in the worst snot and the boat loved it.

Bottom line, as you stated, round bilge narrow beam, displacement hull, it is what it is.

I hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Bill

fordy

Commander
Sorry to bring up a dead thread.

Just bought one of these with the cabin, it needs a full rebuild. I'll try to get pics

My question is how is the performance of this boat? Can I cruise at 20 or 22?
I'm aware these are terrible in a following sea, but just how good is it in a headsea?

Looking for advice on weather I should restore/ flip the boat or try to make it my own pocket downeast for when it's choppy all the way to block on certain afternoons or late season tog

20170708_112420.jpg

Screenshot_2017-07-18-09-40-57.png

Last edited:

Rearmount

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
34' mainship Pilot
I had one 20 years ago that I restored. I think its actually called a Chet Harris Cuttyhunk. Mine had a Volvo AQ145 with outdrive. It was a great little boat when there was no and I mean no wind. Very narrow, 18kts at 4 gal hr. and very soft chine. I put sides on my cabin. I sold it to an airline pilot from Newport and saw the boat on a mooring years later. I think it was the only thing I ever sold in my life I made money on. Good luck.

Rearmount

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
34' mainship Pilot
If I remember correctly, mine had a plastic fuel tank which would concern me now with gasoline issues.

Top Bottom