Harris Downeaster-Marion MA

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
I've gone by this boat on the hook quite a few times in Marion Harbor. Makes a statement to say the least. Very attractively priced.

Bpackish

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
One of the lucky ones.... Just sold my boat looking for another!
There's a 28 or 30 in oak bluffs harbor the owner just passed away. It's a tank to say the least. It plows through pretty much anything!

phil

Lieutenant
I have kept my eye on this boat for awhile. The boat has been for sale for at least a year, starting at $79K if I remember correctly. Pics make it look great. Cannot understand why someone has not bought it all this time, unless in real life it looks nothing like it appears to be. Now that Sandy has taken my boat, another one may be in the headlights, although I'm thinking of giving it a rest for a year (at least thats what the good woman wants...!!!). I also think that this boat was a yacht club boat, meaning that it accompanied the ofoficials during their sailing races. May explain the low hours oin the 671.
Phil

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
2000 Genral Marine 31 duffy Hull
Looks like a nice boat for the money. Seems like a bit of maintenance yearly, but she's pretty! I would have your own survey done, but It could turn out to be a great deal.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Bigger is not always better

The 36 Harris was their Flagship designed by Royal Lowell. The 38 was done by Harris as a stretch on the 36 mold. Similar to what the late Jack Cadario did when he stretched the 31 to the 35 JC.
There was a very successful charter captain who sailed both a 36 & 38 Harris. I had a face to face conversation with the captain, who put the 36 pretty far ahead of the 38 Harris.
The boat seems like good value at the asking price & you must be satisfied with the boat as is. A repower on a vessel like this will be north of 70K. Pretty boat.

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
2000 Genral Marine 31 duffy Hull
The 36 Harris was their Flagship designed by Royal Lowell. The 38 was done by Harris as a stretch on the 36 mold. Similar to what the late Jack Cadario did when he stretched the 31 to the 35 JC.
There was a very successful charter captain who sailed both a 36 & 38 Harris. I had a face to face conversation with the captain, who put the 36 pretty far ahead of the 38 Harris.
The boat seems like good value at the asking price & you must be satisfied with the boat as is. A repower on a vessel like this will be north of 70K. Pretty boat.

What makes a repower ( If needed for some time) so expensive? I'm assuming there would need to be a lot of cutting to do. Is that the extra cost?

tashmoo2

Commander
38 ft Harris

I know of several Harris's owned by very successful charter boat captains. There is a 38 Ft Harris in Jersey, Pop's Pride with twin volvos that might be for sale
now. I have the original advertisement published in April of 87 on his boat with complete spec's and the original brochure on boat if anyone wants a copy.

Capt Larry, what is purpose of the bend in the skeg? The strut looks original but I cannot understand what the skeg is not one piece

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
The skeg appears to be an add on. My option is the boat most likely had a single support spaded rudder. Some time in the vessels life the rudder was changed to a skeg design with support top & bottom. The lower skeg is drop shoed and bolted to the propeller strut. The drop shoe effect of the skeg may be to keep it away from the propeller.
The boat has great eye appeal and it is priced very well for the new buyer. In buying this vessel I would not look to repower her. I would however look to upgrade the 6-71 to a 485 HP. The 6-71 although old tech. Is an excellent power planet and completely rebuildable.

tashmoo2

Commander
38 harris

Captain Larry,

I would not change the engine either. Boat with this engine will cruise easily at 17-19 konts and have a max speed of 22-24. You can do 3 or more rebuilds for the cost of replacing the engine. They took boat listing off MIdcoast Yacht sales. I do not think it will last long at this price.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Was this harris cored? I know some were and some were not. Is this also the just the 36' stretched?

fiberglassmagic

Lieutenant Commander
36 vs 38

I own a 36 and have been on the 38 in fla for charter. The 38 hull is what gave the harris the bad rap for following seas.As far as power 671s are cheap and reliable as long as you disconnect the blower bypass on 485hp engines.That would derate the power to 450 but save the rings.

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign

UnkleJ

Ensign
bump

anyone else kow anything about this boat?

Like the original poster, I've been watching it for a long time, and it's hard to imagine that #1, it hasn't sold at the prices it's been at over the past few months, and #2, that there's not something significantly wrong with it that justifys the huge change in asking price between when it was first listed + now.

On the other hand, maybe there really just aren't that many people in the market for a boat like this? The interior layout is kind of unique, it doesn't really have a master stateroom, maybe that's part of it?

I think it's a nice looking boat, and although I'm not in a position to buy today, if it sticks around a litle longer, I may have to go check it out in person!

Top Bottom