First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38
My old headliner was 35 yrs old and looked like this:
old-bay-albums-wasque-32-picture538-image.jpg

I peeled it all down, and the bare fiberglass looked like this:

old-bay-albums-wasque-32-picture532-cabin-top-bare.jpg

still ugly and too much of the old foam stuck to the ceiling to just paint it.
So I went to home depot and bought about $100 worth of PVC wainscoating. It cuts super easy even with a box knife, making fitting a snap. After a few saturdays on the boat, some oiling of the teak, it turned out like this:
old-bay-albums-wasque-32-picture539-image.jpg

and this (ignore the partial teak trim install):
old-bay-albums-wasque-32-picture533-cabin-top-pvc-wainscoting.jpg

There was a ton of mold in the old headliner, and I found 2 easy to fix water leaks hiding. Now the interior is bright, dry and doesn't smell. A pretty easy DIY. Now to clean up the rest of the interior.

Last edited by a moderator:

phil

Deckhand
Old Bay-this looks excellent! How did you stick the wainscoating to the overhead?
Thanks-Phil

OLD BAY

Admiral
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38
Old Bay-this looks excellent! How did you stick the wainscoating to the overhead?
Thanks-Phil

The wood strips athwartship & on the edges you see on the photo were there for the old headliner to tuck into, so I just cut the PVC to tuck under them, and that's it. No glue, just wood strips... plus the PVC locks together in tongue-grove fashion. That way I can remove them when needed for repairs, damage, etc. I did have to cut holes for the vent (used hole-saw) and for the radio mounting screws (not shown), but it was super easy.

Another pic:
old-bay-albums-wasque-32-picture540-image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

capnrob

Deckhand
Boat Make
webbers cove 34 1968
headliner

Great job! I only hope mine turns out as well. I have seen this material used in some mega yachts. It just makes sense. In my pilothouse it will be fastened with exposed screws with finish washers so I'll have access to my electronics. The flexibility is a big plus for my fo'c's'l. I have a Webers Cove 34 that was finished in Florida as a pocket yacht in 1968. It's been my home since '93 in FL and in NC.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Is that the stuff they use under the roof of porches? Looks good, I like the idea.

OLD BAY

Admiral
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38
Is that the stuff they use under the roof of porches? Looks good, I like the idea.

Basically, yes. I used the Home Depot version (veranda plastipro), because it was cheap and easy to get. It has turned out really great though, and the musty smell is gone.

OLD BAY

Admiral
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38
Great job! I only hope mine turns out as well. I have seen this material used in some mega yachts. It just makes sense. In my pilothouse it will be fastened with exposed screws with finish washers so I'll have access to my electronics. The flexibility is a big plus for my fo'c's'l. I have a Webers Cove 34 that was finished in Florida as a pocket yacht in 1968. It's been my home since '93 in FL and in NC.

Good luck. The stuff is very easy to work with. I thought about screws too, but the teak strips work perfectly in my cabin.

tomy

1st Mate
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
Oh wow,! years ago I did the EXACT same thing, ony in the real WOOD waincotting. I will look at this stuff next time in a box store as my overhead is gitting lousy like yrs was. Is it light in weight?
May old job was to gave something to put screws into for rod holders. is this material thick? can you put a screw into it like wood? I used liquid mails to hang it up.
Nice job by the way.

Last edited:

WC1966

1st Mate
Boat Make
Webbers Cove 34
Plastpro Veranda

Try a search with this, Plastpro Veranda
8 ft. x 7-1/4 in. x 1/4 in. Vinyl Pre-finished Reversible Panel Planking Moulding (3-Piece)
Thanks for the info, I am going to do the headliner soon and this looks like the way to go,

capnrob

Deckhand
Boat Make
webbers cove 34 1968
I will definitely use mahogany trim as I'm sure that's what keeps it tight to the cabin top's camber. In the fo'c'sl deckhead I will use brads or escution pins. In the pilot house I'll use the screws. Not that the wiring from all my electronics, anchor light, search light and, bless them windshield wipers will ever need attention, I'll have easy access. I'm going to post an introduction to myself and my vessel, m/v Patience in that first thread where it's suggested. I'm lovin' this site!

OLD BAY

Admiral
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38
Oh wow,! years ago I did the EXACT same thing, ony in the real WOOD waincotting. I will look at this stuff next time in a box store as my overhead is gitting lousy like yrs was. Is it light in weight?
May old job was to gave something to put screws into for rod holders. is this material thick? can you put a screw into it like wood? I used liquid mails to hang it up.
Nice job by the way.

Thanks for the comments. It's about 3/8" thick, and you can screw into it, but it's brittle and does not have a lot of strength. I did screw in a piece of trim, but went through the PVC into the cabin top for a better hold. If you're going to hold something up, I'd go through the PVC into something else. It is pretty light, about the same as wood wainscoting.

Top Bottom