Headliner replacement

mattinri

1st Mate
Boat Make
Nordhavn 46
The foam backing to my headliner (perforated vinyl naugahyde type material) has deteriorated and the headliner is falling. I tried to tack it back up with 3M spray adhesive but the foam is turning to dust and it won't hold. I'm trying to decide what to replace it with. Does a headliner like this add any sound absorption to the cabin? If not, I'm thinking of just painting it. I've also seen a sound-absorbing paint for the bilges - not sure how that would work in a cabin though. If I should replace with a similar perforated vinyl, any suggestions for sources?

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Brooksie

Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
old-bay-albums-wasque-32-picture533-cabin-top-pvc-wainscoting.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

OLD BAY

Admiral
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38

That's my wasque's new headliner. You can see more pics in my album. That stuff is terrific and cheap. Comes in short (something like 36") and long (80+"). I already had to pull a panel down to fix a leak (damn hatch), and it was a non-event. The only trick is crafting a molding for it to tuck into where the headliner meets the sides.

I was just going to paint the ceiling originally, but it was such a PITA and looked like crap that I decided to abandon the idea and went with the PVC wainscoting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brooksie

Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
oldbay, didn't mean to steal your pic. Once I pasted the pic I couldn,t write for some reason. Write first paste pic second...
Beautiful job.
I live 20 miles by water from Wasque

OLD BAY

Admiral
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38
oldbay, didn't mean to steal your pic. Once I pasted the pic I couldn,t write for some reason. Write first paste pic second...
Beautiful job.
I live 20 miles by water from Wasque

No worries. I'm flattered you used it.

Some day I gotta get to Martha's Vinyard. I hear it's beautiful.

Last edited:

OLD BAY

Admiral
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38
On the Vineyard they pronounce Wasque WAY-SQUEE

That's how we were told to pronounce it by Vinyard Yacht Yard (my dad used to visit). i can't tell you the number of times someone from south of the Mason-Dixon line corrects me and says "no, it's pronounced wah-squee".

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

OLD BAY

Admiral
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38
Homedepot. Don't glue it, use trim or screws in strategic places so it can be removed for future work.

I used trim and it worked well. I didn't have to glue any of it. Entire cost was like $250. I even reused my old trim.

cb34

Admiral
Headliner

Bead board looks great but I didn't want to add the weight so I went with the traditional headliner. Also needed something to contain the db. Some day I figure out how to post pics on this site:rolleyes:

Top Bottom