Headliner Work

jsakovits

Captain
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
Does anyone know of someone that does headliner repairs ? Looking for someone that has either done headliner repair (i.e. regluing to surface) or has experience with new builds. Ideally the headliner needs to be pulled down and replaced but this is a larger job than I can afford at this point given some other priorities. Looking for someone to reglue the existing headliner that has dropped from side of hull. Ideally someone from between Gloucester, MA to Portland, ME.

Thanks

BHM31

Lieutenant
I’ve tried repairing the original foam headliner on my boat a few times with mixed results. 3 M makes a spay on adhesive that works well if you can get access to the area. Problem is it usually turns out very “bumpy†and doesn’t last as long as when you replace it. I’ve found that the headliners usually last around 10-12 years before they begin to come lose.

I replaced the original 12 year old foam headliner in my boat again with one that Hamilton Marine sells ( white with pin holes) and it works great, is very easy to install and also helps with noise reduction. Like anything else, it’s all in the prep work. You need to clean (scrape off) all of the old foam and adhesive from the surface you are boding to (that is the tough job) and then precut the headliner. Spray both the ceiling and foam side of the headliner with the 3m adhesive and start at on corner and work your way across using a firm plastic trowel to press new headliner to ceiling. Just use a little adhesive on the foam to help it get started and don'd overload because it may seep through. It’s a 3 man job so take your time and work slow. You can use some quarter round PVC or teak molding around the perimeter of the roof to finish it off and lock it in if you desire. I did mine that way 10 years ago and it’s still going strong. The material is pretty cheap and I would suggest replacing rather than trying to repair.

BHM31

Lieutenant
One more thing, when you precut the foam, make it a little oversized. After it sets up, you can trim the perimter with a utility knife to get a nice sharp finish.

jsakovits

Captain
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
Thanks for the reply BHM31. I absolutly agree that the correct thing to do is replace the headliner but there is some trim would that would need to go along with it that puts it out of my budget for this year. Given other priorities for this season just trying to get by for one more season.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Contact laminate cement and a 3" foam roller, the one inch diameter kind
Always dislike headliner installs, that spray adhesive closes my lungs up even with the respirator on

Top Bottom