Health care

Roy-c

Commander
O.K. Here is a question that has just across my better late than never mind. How is our beloved Obamacare going to effect the lobsterman or small charter boat operator that has a stern man or mate. Here in the Northeast we only operate for part of the year and may only employ someone part time. What difference will it make if we are not inc., a LLC or subchapter S ? I can visualize this turning into a giant mess.

Kodiakan

Commander
O.K. Here is a question that has just across my better late than never mind. How is our beloved Obamacare going to effect the lobsterman or small charter boat operator that has a stern man or mate. Here in the Northeast we only operate for part of the year and may only employ someone part time. What difference will it make if we are not inc., a LLC or subchapter S ? I can visualize this turning into a giant mess.

Only companies with 50 or more employees will have to provide health insurance. It will effect you in that your employee (and family) who probably doesn't have health insurance now nor gets any preventative care will be able to buy health insurance for little or nothing (assuming he's modest income like most small boat deckhands). If your state has expanded medicaid he (and family) will most likely qualify. The tradeoff is you and I will probably pay more which I am willing to do for my fellow workers.

Kodiakan

Commander
One other thing I missed, if your deckhand is 26 or under and his/her parents have insurance they already qualify for insurance under their parents plan

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Anyone see the story on line the other day about a new push to eliminate term limits for the president? Now that is something to really be worried about. WTF!?!?!?

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
That mother fucker fucked all are kids for earning a living off the water he is all for the bigest sorse of protien this contry has cutting it up like a pie and selling them over seas. Its going the be like the state of mass and hands off with the mid water boats

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
One thing that surprised me is how few people actually have insurance for commercial mates. Not so much health care insurance but just the liability. Seen more and more issues on the cape recently with people being chased etc. Scary.

Im having a problem getting insurance for two mates on commercial fishing trips. The "sure" only one will have an accident is not really a great way to do things.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom