Heating options for winter work

Tunascapes

Commander
I was wondering what you all are using for heat for your projects. I have the tent style enclosure like a lot of guys on here. For my past projects I have used the propane style heaters that hook directly to the bottle. This project is going to be a new transom install and the deck is going to be cut back to the fuel tank which has about 75 gallons of gas still on board. Just not sure what the best options for heating are working around a fuel tank. Maybe I am over thinking this but I just haven't ever used a propane heater around a full tank before.

pyrofan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
wilcox and midland
I've had very good luck using a small propane torpedo heater. Just make sure your gas tank vents are plugged and the fill caps are on tight. Try not to use direct heat and when glassing and have the heater on ground under the transom. After glassing you can put the heater on the cockpit deck and tent over the transom to keep heat from escaping.

You need to be present all the time you are curing the resin, so you can vent the tent sometimes as needed, and make sure the resin is not curing to fast. Not as complicated as it sounds.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Mi-T-M Gas-Fired Portable 200,000 BTU Convection Propane Tank Top Space Heater | Wayfair

Makes my tent into T shirt weather set on medium in about 15 minutes. No blowing dust and quieter than the salamander/torpedo.

I would drain that gas tank. Siphon it off into your truck. Also think you should leave the bottom of your tent open in case of fumes and really should have a blower of some sort set up in the bilge if possible.

I pumped my tanks dry using an electric fuel pump that I rigged (outside the boat) then opened them (insp port, hoses, sender) and waited for them to be dry inside. Was removing them so it was an easy decision though.

Madchark

Commander
When working around resins and solvents, I would not recommend a direct flame heater. The problems are fire hazard and hydrocarbons released into the air.

Depending on the budget, an indirect heater is the best way to go. the heater box is isolated away from the area of work and the warm air is piped in without any contamination. The heaters can be purchased in various BTU sizes, but a 150k to 200k will keep most size areas to the point of curing resins.

just my 2 cnts worth.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Mi-T-M Gas-Fired Portable 200,000 BTU Convection Propane Tank Top Space Heater | Wayfair

Makes my tent into T shirt weather set on medium in about 15 minutes. No blowing dust and quieter than the salamander/torpedo.

I would drain that gas tank. Siphon it off into your truck. Also think you should leave the bottom of your tent open in case of fumes and really should have a blower of some sort set up in the bilge if possible.

I pumped my tanks dry using an electric fuel pump that I rigged (outside the boat) then opened them (insp port, hoses, sender) and waited for them to be dry inside. Was removing them so it was an easy decision though.

How long does a 25lb propane tank last ?? or does it have to be hooked up to a larger tank.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
How long does a 25lb propane tank last ?? or does it have to be hooked up to a larger tank.

I would say 8 hrs but not sure b/c I run off a bigger tank. The problem is that the small propane tanks will not produce enough pressure to run it on high for a long time. So far just been running a couple hours here and there.

Good point about solvents though Madchark. Any propane heater will also create lots of moisture as byproduct of combustion. A couple vents in the tent will usually take care of that though.

Top Bottom