Hello All

Splinters

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Egg Harbor
Hi.
I am brand new to your site. Been a lifetime boater and am now ready to downsize. Looking for a sweet trailerable inboard downeaster. I like the looks of the Sisu 22, and the newer refined versions of that hull as well. But need to get educated on what there is out there. Looks like I came to the right place.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Welcome- are you downsizing from a downeast style boat? How about budget for the new boat? What will you use it for?

Great resource you are signing in to (pics help- of anything :).

Splinters

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Egg Harbor
I am downsizing from a glass 37 Egg Harbor with twin 6BTA Cummins. I want a picnic style boat similar to the Gray Barn boats. I think they built a tender model. It is on their website. Teak Decks and transom. Georgeous boat.
I bought a 25 Bertram with V drives awhile back for a restoration for downsizing. But the fuel burn with twin gas was not particle. It is currently a kitty condo and a yard ornament my wife would like to see go. So plan B is a downeast boat. The lines are beautiful and I want an inboard. No I/Os or outboards. Just simplistic inboard power.
I want to trailer the boat to Fla in the winter and keep it here on Chesapeake Bay in the summer.
Don't mind a project. I already have an engine on standby from another project. I have done restorations on 2 previously owned wooden Egg harbors. I like wood.
The amount of money I would like to have in it would be no more that 20K. But if The Egg were to sell quickly then it would be more. But in this market who knows. I don't want to give the boat away.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Good luck in your search! That's a big step down!

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Splinters

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Egg Harbor
Am I asking a bit much to cruise around 20 knots with a V8 gas engine in a Sisu 22? Say 3000 RPM? I have a 383 stroker engine built that is high on torque and around 325 horse power. It is also left hand rotation. I noticed on some pictures the boats had a right hand wheel. I was hoping the rudder set up was for left hand.
I didn't know if the hull was designed to be pushed at slower speeds. I see the lobster boat races and figured no problem.
I am open to other boats as well. The Wasque 26 is sweet but pricey. Probably a challenge to trailer as well. I understand the Lowell boat hulls were produced by Rosborough, Tripp, and Grey Barn.
I am still in my research phase, so be patient. I am open to all suggestions.

putherinthecorner

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Vinnie Cavanaugh
I'm sure you could get 20 knots with that motor and the right prop. You mentioned wood - I have a 1956 25ft Vinnie Cavanaugh downeast hull with a 350 gas motor. She is semi-built down and and stoutly built. I can get her up to about 20 knots but it is loud, I can't really pull a skill without it dancing all over the place and I'm burning a ton of fuel. Her sweet spot is really 14 knots.

Splinters

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Egg Harbor
Do you have any pictures of your boat. Would really like to see some .I am wondering if that sweet spot on a Sisu or similar downeast hull is also around 14 knots. My old wooden 37 Egg Habor had a sweet spot around 14 to 16 knots. I cruised her at 18 but had some healthy 454s to do the job.

Boat Make
Jarvis Newman 36
Nice boat I have seen a few Cavanaugh boats around Casco Bay. They have a reputation of being fine and fast boats in their day. I had seen a 34 a number of years ago. Are your pictures in Casco Bay? It looks like it to me. I grew up around Casco Bay and I am looking forward to cruising the bay again. Thanks for sharing pictures of your classic.

putherinthecorner

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Vinnie Cavanaugh
Your welcome. Not Casco Bay but the Isles of Shoals. I live and keep Kenebis in the Back Channel of the Piscataqua River in Portsmouth. I have had her in Casco Bay and other spots farther down east and it never fails that someone comes along side and asks if she is a Cavanaugh.

putherinthecorner

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Vinnie Cavanaugh
Hello again Hellelujah,

I just took a look at your project - congratulations, she is perfect. If I was in the position to move to a bigger boat that is exactly what I would want. I love my boat but if she were 10 feet longer and 3 feet wider.....

DERBBS

Ensign
Boat Make
Sea Ray, Boston Whaler, Custom
If you know of any Cavanaugh built boats for sale, please let me know. I am always interested as a collector. Thank you.

Top Bottom