Hello

Lobsterman

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Duffy 35
Hi everybody, I am new to the forum. Just thought I would say hello. I am a commercial lobsterman from Swan's Island Maine. I have a 1983 Duffy 35 for a boat, she is old but I have completely overhauled everything within the last 8 years. It has a 375 John Deere with 20 hrs. on a complete top to bottom rebuild, cruise 21 knots, 25.5 max. My next palns are aluminium windows and forward bunks.:) http://downeastboatforum.com/members/lobsterman-albums-my-duffy-35-lobster-boat.html

Eastporter

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Great looking Duffy! I love the colors! Check out Wynne Enterprises for custom aluminum windows for reasonable money. I used them for my boat and they were very professional and easy to work with. Don't listen to people who tell you they leak- everyone seems to think that Diamond Sea Glaze are the best. They may be better, but they will cost you double the price of Wynne, and they pit over time too. Wynne recommended not tightening them until the next day, after the marine silicone cures= no leaks.

HarborRd

Lieutenant
Always loved the low shear Duffy 35...only complaint is that the gunnel in the cockpit hits me right on the knee. Would pitch me straight overboard in any sort of sea!

Lobsterman

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Duffy 35
Thanks the colors are what my great grandfather always had his boats painted, Newport green and white. A lot of the guys around here use the Wynne windows. My windows are almost 30 years old and the rubber gasket leaks and leaves black streaks.Nice tip on the tightening, around here there isn't any boat yards so I have to do all my own work.

Lobsterman

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Duffy 35
Yeah the decks are a little low, when I ripped the floor out I lowered it 2", it gave a little more leg room. It's still a little low it gets hard on the back tending all the trap gear after a while. But I like the looks of the low shear duffys a lot better than the high shear.

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
Always loved the low shear Duffy 35...only complaint is that the gunnel in the cockpit hits me right on the knee. Would pitch me straight overboard in any sort of sea!
As you probably know, the Duffy 35 is offered in a low or a high shear model - your choice.

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
Hi everybody, I am new to the forum. Just thought I would say hello. I am a commercial lobsterman from Swan's Island Maine. I have a 1983 Duffy 35 for a boat, she is old but I have completely overhauled everything within the last 8 years. It has a 375 John Deere with 20 hrs. on a complete top to bottom rebuild, cruise 21 knots, 25.5 max. My next palns are aluminium windows and forward bunks.
Eastporter's comments on Wynne and Sea Glaze mirror mine too. I'm guessing that you're using an engine-driven washdown pump to keep your bugs moving. Jabsco? Any issues? Do you recall the model (they offer a bunch of models and I'm trying to figure out which one I need)?

Lobsterman

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Duffy 35
The stern deck is solid and doesent fold down I made it and added it last spring. I have a fuel tank in the stern and between that and a 900 lb lobster tank and a 15 bushel bait box I needed more room. So now I can put 15 4 foot traps on the stern deck and 50 on the platform. I bought the boat years ago and had it trucked from Point Judith Rhode Island to Bass Harbor Maine it was used as a fish dragger. The platform was rotten, the wiring was a mess, the shaft and boxes were junk, it had and old 2 valve 671 detroit diesel which was worn out, the stern was open with a piece of plywood stuck in it to keep things from going overboard, no electronics, the only thing good was the hull and top and the ss hauler plates. It's been a long process but I have enjoyed it. There are always more things to do on it so I wont get bored.

Lobsterman

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Duffy 35
Actually I am using a rule 3800 GPH eletric pump it keeps 900 lbs of lobster alive with out any problems. all of my pumps are gear driven off the engine power stering pump and the heatexchanger pump.So there aren't any pullys for a Jabsco pump. plus I'm not loosing any speed from turning extra belts

Lobsterman

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Duffy 35
The duffy 35 is the most popular boat in our harbor. There are a bunch of high shear ones and some low shear ones, I still like the look of the low shear ones the best. I am about 45 minutes from Brooklin by boat where the duffys are made. There are also a bunch of the original duffy 34s that were designed by Richard Duffy in our harbor, that is what my father has for a boat.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Eastporter's comments on Wynne and Sea Glaze mirror mine too. I'm guessing that you're using an engine-driven washdown pump to keep your bugs moving. Jabsco? Any issues? Do you recall the model (they offer a bunch of models and I'm trying to figure out which one I need)?
Get a Johnson instead of a Jabsco better bearings for longer life. I think Rose's sells them. If i remember correctly the 1-1/4" gives you the best bang for the buck.

Last edited:

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
Great looking Duffy! I love the colors! Check out Wynne Enterprises for custom aluminum windows for reasonable money. I used them for my boat and they were very professional and easy to work with. Don't listen to people who tell you they leak- everyone seems to think that Diamond Sea Glaze are the best. They may be better, but they will cost you double the price of Wynne, and they pit over time too. Wynne recommended not tightening them until the next day, after the marine silicone cures= no leaks.
One quirk about Wynne windows is that fixed or opening, you get the same double-track, extruded frame (the second track is always on the inside of the window). They also give you choices as to glass thickness.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Welcome & glad to finally see a new member that actually uses his boat for work!! Yeah i know tuna fishing and charters are work but hey come on i'm talking REAL work :eek: Nice looking rig Lobsterman. Are you going to add a trap rack on the side opposite the hauler? I'm going to build one this winter for my H&H so looking for any advise or tips to building one. Just a thought about your low shear and bending over sliding traps, did you ever consider a pipe rail down the hauling side? maybe just 6-8" tall so you could slide the traps down it and also have a nice rail to tie gear down to when you have a boatload of gear to move. Sure would save wear & tear on the gunnel caps.
Does your sail help a lot when hauling gear? Does it make your bow stay up into the wind?
28 degrees here this morning, winds blowin 40 and i'm heading down to the barn to light the stove and build more shrimp traps.
yellowpot.jpg

yellowpot.jpg

Eastporter

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
I went with laminated safety glass on all five windows, with sea green tint on port/starboard and clear from front of pilothouse. You can get different tints and glass (tempered vs. laminated).

Lobsterman

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Duffy 35
One quirk about Wynne windows is that fixed or opening, you get the same double-track, extruded frame (the second track is always on the inside of the window). They also give you choices as to glass thickness.

I wonder if the inside frame would fit on the molded house? Because on the inside of the window openings they fiberglassed stiffners. So there would only be about 1.5" of window flange for the aluminum frame to bolt to.

Lobsterman

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Duffy 35
I went with laminated safety glass on all five windows, with sea green tint on port/starboard and clear from front of pilothouse. You can get different tints and glass (tempered vs. laminated).

I thought about going with tinted windows on the port side and clear in the front. Some guys around here have all the windows tinted but I think its hard to see out of them when its dark.

Top Bottom