33 Flowers.
Last edited:

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Most people are right handed so it's easier for them to grab their gear. However a few of those individuals want to save their dominant hand so they build left handed boats, that way their good hand wont be sucked through the hauler.

Wouldn't want that, would we?

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Ronnie I have ran boats That haul on both sides I am a big fan of stb its What feels right to me and when it comes to tuna that's the olny place to fight a fish is stb corner. The port side boat is a hole different beast not for me

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
After seeing Hurdy Gurdy's pic in another thread and showing his wheelhouse helm mounted port side it got me wondering why.
Probably 90% + downeast boats you see have wheelhouse helm stb side (mine included) and very few port side.
So why is it ?
It a nav thing ?
I asked a friend Chuck on the Skip A Dory some years ago why his BHM was set up that way when he had it built years ago, he said his previous boat was that way as his lobster gear was set up left handed.
So why is it most common on stb side ?

I figured the guys who built port side steering were English>

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
I always like center helms, but then again i don;t pull pots. I think it gives better viability, capt's chair jacked up high on the engine box or without box.

then again i also prefer fly bridges for that same reason. great view of the spread as well.

Frank

Commander
If you are a right handed rod and reel fisherman and were schooled correctly when you were younger you will hold the rod in your left hand and thumb the spool, engage, disengage and crank the reel with your right hand. This eliminates passing the rod and reel back and forth from the left and right arm. Anyone running a boat drifting eels, trolling worms, diamond jigging etc.
should want to run the boat from the port side and have control of the helm with their right hand with the rod deployed out of the port side of the boat. Furthermore, most single screw boats kick to port in reverse. Isn't it nicer to see how close the ass end of your boat is to the finger slip when docking from the port helm? Why are most obsessed with starboard helms? I can see a right handed lobsterman needing one but I don't see the rest of you ordering European cars.

Last edited:

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
I always like center helms, but then again i don;t pull pots. I think it gives better viability, capt's chair jacked up high on the engine box or without box.

then again i also prefer fly bridges for that same reason. great view of the spread as well.

Jersey,

A center helm is a GREAT idea for a boat with an engine box.
Get on and off the seat either side, perfect.
The question becomes visibility while underway sitting directly behind the center bow.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
bill the only limiting factor on a DE would be headroom and window size. I thought the same thing until i got behind the wheel of a 34 pursuit and the 52 open viking, in which you can land an airplane on its foredeck. I was surprised with the amount of visibilty for an express model.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
bill the only limiting factor on a DE would be headroom and window size. I thought the same thing until i got behind the wheel of a 34 pursuit and the 52 open viking, in which you can land an airplane on its foredeck. I was surprised with the amount of visibilty for an express model.

Certainly makes an argument for three windows instead of four!

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Why on a jet is the captains seat on the left instead of the right, on a helicopter the right instead of the left, then again who cares. To me it would be personal preference. I have run boats and ships with center, starboard and port stations and I prefer to run from sarboard. The reason for me is with my dominant hand and if open to starboard you can grab a line and place on cleat if needed. Once again just a personal opinion and who cares anyways.

Last edited:

Beamie

Commander
I was always under the impression it was mosly a rules of the road thing. Better visibilty looking out to stbd as you'd have to give way etc......not that half the googins pay attention to the rules anyway....shocking

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
Boat Make
33 Flowers.
Top Bottom